Thread: Mail not being accepted locally

Default Mail not being accepted locally

Hi.

I've got a problem with a migration to Zimbra from Postfix. The setup and configuration is fine (or so I thought). I did the Split-domain setup where one box forwards to the other based on which user it is and a couple unique hostnames and one shared hostname.

The shared domain is the company domain (as opposed to FQDN). But when an email leaves the old Postfix system and gets to the new Zimbra system (using the new host alias) it successfully converts it to the shared domain but then, rather than deliver it locally, it attempts to deliver it to that shared domain via DNS. Even worse than that, it tries to deliver it to that shared domain's DNS A-record and not the MX. So now its hitting the webserver for our domain and failing... and staying in the Zimbra queue without delivery.

Any ideas why the domain is not being accepted locally? I used the domain in the install.sh setup and it appeared to work fine. Even sending email between users on the system is failing to deliver locally.

I have support and I have tried contacting support about this but have gotten no response in over 24 hours on a U2 level (120 minute response time) issue. So I'm hoping someone here has had an issue like this and can assist me.

thanks

Some progress.

I found a work around. If I set up a local DNS server on that system that resolves my main domain to 127.0.0.1 then it will send the mail to me instead of to the A-record for the domain in world-wide DNS.

That is far from acceptable but it does work.

Does anyone know a way to make Zimbra accept mail for the main domain even though the A-record for it doesn't point locally?

I attempted the Managing Domains tip from the wiki:

zmprov
    md example.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @example.com
    md example.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @example.com
    md example.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:127.0.0.1

(with my domain in there, of course)

but it didn't work either.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You need correctly set-up DNS A & MX records and they shouldn't point to 127.0.0.1 they should point to the LAN IP address of your server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Right, I can set it to the LAN IP too but I don't want to change the TLD for my company's domain to point to the mail server.... or when someone types in "http://mycompany.com" they won't see our pretty web page... they'll see the zimbra log in.

Most MTA's look first to see what domains they accept for, and then if not it sends it out with a DNS lookup for the MX record (not the A record).