Thread: End User Guide?

Default End User Guide?

Morning,

Newbie here, just finished up our install and are moving users over this weekend. My question, is their an end user guide that might answer basic questions a user might have.. So i don't get 1000 calls?

Also any good tips for moving users from exchange to zimbra?

thanks
    --Craig
    Last edited by ph1ngering; 03-27-2007 at 06:59 AM.

If they're using the Zimbra Web Client, they will have online help available.

I recently deployed Zimbra in place of Exchange. I chose to go with only the web client. During my roll out the following were the most common questions.
    1. Attaching files was a common question, especially attaching multiple files.
    2. Read/Delivery Receipts was another. Of course, they're not currently supported.
    3. The address lookup was a point of confusion. When attempting to browse the GAL, it's not intuitive for them to enter a period into the search box and hit enter. I've attempted to get them to type directly into the To & Cc fields so that addresses are auto-populated. Most find this easier anyway.
    4. Of course they all complain about not being able to click File, Send-to and have the web client attach files to a new message. Just make them aware of it up front so they're not discouraged.

Anyhow, those were the most common questions I encountered.

I hadn't even thought of that Send to issue.. Thanks for the info.. I can here all those questions being asked already..

We are also going with strickly a web client, we are piloting 30 plus users this weekend then the following weekend doing the other couple hundred...

--Craig

We're in the process of a similar migration; not from Exchange but from Outlook to the Zimbra Web Client. The issues / questions that bhickey mentioned were certainly brought up here as well. In addition, I'd like to add the following:

1. Cannot set priority / importance when sending an email message.
    2. Can't easily save an email message to somewhere outside of the email system.
    3. Can't embed an image in an email message.
    4. Can't drag-and-drop files to a new message to add as attachment.

There may be a couple of others that I'm forgetting. Some of these issues may be addressed in future releases. We're finding that our users are doing what I'll basically call "crazy" things with Outlook. Overall the Zimbra Web Client is great, but it is missing some of Outlook's functionality and the more you are prepared up front for these questions the better off you will be.

Hope this helps.

It helps thanks, i am building a list and will share with the forum when i am done. Might help someone else in the future.

So keep them coming.. Thanks
    --Craig

Items 3 and 4 of soxfan's list were also issues with my users. I believe item 3 will be addressed down the road. As far as drag & drop, I don't know how you'd accomplish that in a browser, but it would be a very nice enhancement.

Going strictly with the web client is the cleanest break from Exchange IMHO. It's also the easiest to administer. For performance reasons, you'll want IE7 or, better yet, FF2.

I would disable some of the non-essential features (mail identities, POP accounts, etc.) and phase them in over time. You'll have enough to deal with without having to contend with users wanting to get their messages from their home email accounts delivered to Zimbra.

You didn't mention if you were using the Network Editon or the OS edition. The wiki and forums are good places for finding answers regardless of version. With the NE you'll be able to get help directly from Zimbra. Of course, if you look through the forums regularly, you'll notice that Zimbra employees have a large presence there and answer quite a few questions.

Good luck!
    Last edited by bhickey; 03-27-2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: poor punctuation

I second bhickey's note about using IE7 or FF. I was actually just coming back to add that. All our users had IE6 and we got several complaints about the performance. We are now starting to upgrade them to IE7 and we're getting much better feedback.

If I think of anything else I will post back.

Good Luck!

well after a little research with this company and the info you guys have provided we have decide to go another route.

We will be running outlook with the zimbra connector and then when they arn't at work they will have the option to check their email through the web.

So that should easy up some of the confussion with going straight to the web client. But now i get to help setup each PC instead..

Any tips for setting up the connector? Going to go through a test case right now.. Wondering how smooth pst and GAB are to get moved..

another company that will start using our service is going straight to the web client so that info will be great to pass on..

Thanks
    --Craig
    Last edited by ph1ngering; 03-27-2007 at 09:55 AM.