Thread: Installation on Ubuntu Edgy Hanging

Default Installation on Ubuntu Edgy Hanging

I originally gave Zimbra a run for it's money on a virtual machine and everything was up and running in no time. Now, I'm trying to do it on the real system, but I'm experiencing some issues which I thought maybe someone here could help out with.

I followed all the instructions for getting the DNS (e.g., MX and A records) setup and no errors there. So I begin by running "./install.sh". It asks a series of questions all of which are normal. All the packages are found and off to the races we go.

It informs me that the system will be modifed and I say "cool". Next, it installs the default packages. The MX and A records process jus fine. After that's done, this is where it gets stuck.

It says "Checking for port conflicts" and just hangs indefinitely. If I do "Ctrl+C" a few times it moves onto the next step and then hangs again. So on and so forth. I cannot for the life of me (5 hours now) figure out why it's hanging. There is nothing in the logs that describes any hint of an error.

I should also mention, when it gets to steps like "Saving CA in ldap", it seems to just hang. Anything where it would update ldap seems to make it hang.

Can anyone give me a clue here?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have any other information from the log?
    Typically, it's located in /var/log/install.log.xxxx

john

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Anything in /var/log/messages that might give a clue? If it's a new install, it's possible a lack of entropy is blocking /dev/random, google on how to force entropy and see if that helps.

If you can't find anything, try attaching a tracer to the installer pid, it sounds possibly network related although such long timeouts seem strange. Make sure you don't have something silly in nsswitch.conf.

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    Anything in /var/log/messages that might give a clue? If it's a new install, it's possible a lack of entropy is blocking /dev/random, google on how to force entropy and see if that helps.

If you can't find anything, try attaching a tracer to the installer pid, it sounds possibly network related although such long timeouts seem strange. Make sure you don't have something silly in nsswitch.conf.
    You bring up an excellent point I hadn't thought of. The server system I'm installing this on only has a keyboard attached, no mouse and is headless in the sense that it's a Ubuntu server install with no desktop GUI. I wasn't able, however, to find a good article about how to force entropy.

Can you provide some links?

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Warning: horrible hack ahead, avert your eyes if offended..

<'orrible 'ack>

mv /dev/random /dev/random.bak
    ln -s /dev/urandom /dev/random

<'orrible 'ack>

urandom is nonblocking, you could try this just to see if it is the problem