Thread: Disappearing emails

Hybrid View

Default Disappearing emails

I have a user that randomly has emails disappear. For instance, this morning she had 3 emails in her inbox that she had read but not acted on (moved to another folder, replied, forwarded, etc). Now...they are gone. Completely.

We currently running 4.0.3GA for RHEL4 64-bit. We are planning to upgrade to the latest release sometime this month or early next month, so I can't upgrade as a solution. This doesn't seem to happen to anyone else.

I checked her account for mail filters, different mail views, etc. She's using the web client and Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Windows XP Pro SP2 to send/receive her email. Any idea how I can either A) Restore the mail from this morning or B) Check the log files to figure out what happened with the email? (Her email address is beth@mydomain.com if that will help)

Well, this one could be tough to troubleshoot, but right off the bat I think you should consider upgrading to the latest version of Zimbra.

Any chance the user has the Zimbra server setup as a POP3 account somewhere? Running an email client with POP3 would have pulled the messages off of the server.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Well, this one could be tough to troubleshoot, but right off the bat I think you should consider upgrading to the latest version of Zimbra.

Any chance the user has the Zimbra server setup as a POP3 account somewhere? Running an email client with POP3 would have pulled the messages off of the server.
    Time constraints won't allow me to upgrade right now and thus my mention of the delay for upgrading until later this month or early next month.

As for the POP3, its possible. I'll check with her to find out.

POP3 was the problem. She had Outlook configured from before when we were using another email system and had set her passwords to be the same in Zimbra as they used to be. Any time she clicked a mailto: link it would open Outlook and download her mail. I removed the POP3 account and she should be fine now. Thanks for the help!