Thread: 4.5.4 Install on FC6 64 and 32 bits

Default 4.5.4 Install on FC6 64 and 32 bits

Zimbra runs very well on FC6 64 and 32 bits. I wrote a wiki with the few modifications necessary to make it work.

Enjoy!

Carlos

Default About 32bit and 64bit FC6

Carlos,

I am testing the zimbra at the moment too. And I would like to know if there is any performance different between FC6 64 bit and 32 bit units.

And I am currently testing the zimbra on a FC5 machine.

Many thanks,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Ma View Post
    Carlos,

I am testing the zimbra at the moment too. And I would like to know if there is any performance different between FC6 64 bit and 32 bit units.

And I am currently testing the zimbra on a FC5 machine.

Many thanks,

Max
    Difficult to say, performance depends on too many things, the OS is only one of them ...

Technically, RH4.4, FC6 and FC5 are very close, the differences are mainly in the graphical stuff. The packages used by Zimbra are almost the same (as you saw in the wiki, only a couple of libraries affect Zimbra). Zimbra pre-compiles the 64bit version only for RH, but it would be easy to have a unique RPM for RH, FC5 and FC6 (actually 2 RPMs, one 32bit and the other 64bit).

On the administrative side, by contrast, I expect FC6 yum repositories to last longer than FC5, and I don't need to pay for RH support, so I prefer to use FC6. And on the hardware side, most modern CPUs and controllers are supported natively by FC6, what is not the case for RH or CentOS (you have to download the drivers from RedHat, that is annoying ;-).

On the stability side, I've seen no differences between RH, FC5 and FC6, all 3 systems are rock solid.

Carlos
    Last edited by cvidal; 04-29-2007 at 03:21 AM.

Default Thanks Carlos

Dear Carlos,

Thanks for the information. That is very usfull for us for making out mind on the plateform choice then.

Many thanks

max