Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want Inner domain emails only.. for some users.

Default I want Inner domain emails only.. for some users.

Say I'm an IT admin for a company that has 100 remote stores.
    currently I use Mailscanner with an imap client. I have a rule that blocks all out of domain emails from and to the stores.... The stores use the email for work purposes only.
    Is there a way for procmail or any other zimbra mta function to do this?

So your thinking about running zimbra or already do?

You could get pretty darn close with spamassin settings...give anything with domain.com soft scaling of say -10 points...and also auto white list your domain.
    Then and set your spam kill percentages lower. I'd test with the tag first. Both can be done under the admin console-global settings-mta

In opt/zimbra/conf there's an amavisd.conf.in file (dont have it in front of me and i'll correct spelling later-though it's the only .in file zimbra has that I know of, so searching should be simple) but in that file there's a section of auto-whitelisting points.

For instance anyaddress@cert.org is automatically given -3 points I believe (search that file for cert.org and you'll find the section)
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-03-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    So your thinking about running zimbra or already do?

You could get pretty darn close with spamassin settings...give anything with domain.com auto scaling of say -10 points...and also auto white list your domain.
    Then and set your spam kill percentages lower-i'd test with the tag first. Both can be done under the admin console-global settings-mta

In opt/zimbra/conf there's an anvisd.in (dont have it in front of me-i'll correct spelling later-though it's the only .in file zimbra has that I know of-so searching should be simple) but in that file there's a section of auto-whitelisting points.

For instance anyaddress@cert.org is automatically given -3 points I believe (search that file for cert.org and you'll find the section)
    Can this be done on a per-user basis? I'm from the world of Mailscanner that uses spamassasin but not directly... I'll look around...
    thanks.and I'll ke you all posted.
    timg

hm sorry-didn't see the 'for some users part'

then that definately doesnt help at all

bugzilla it i guess
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-03-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Thumbs up I think spamassasin may be able to do it...

All my users start with st0 .... example st0301 is store number 301.
    st0302 is store 302... Before I just had a rule that stated

from * to st0* blacklisted
    from st0* to * blacklisted
    from *@domain.com to *@domin.com whilelisted

Is there a spamassasin way to do this... I understand that thsi is not a SA forum so I'll move over these if everyone thinks I'm nutz.

hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by timothyalangorman View Post
    Is there a spamassasin way to do this... I understand that thsi is not a SA forum so I'll move over these if everyone thinks I'm nutz.
    Well, I'm not so sure about SA, but there are Postfix ways of doing this, and perhaps Amavisd ways of doing this.

However, we have a similar desire at my workplace (or at least, the higher-ups do, I just do what I'm told ;-)

Rather than deal with maintaining a list of users in Postfix or Amavis or whatever, what we did was make up our own domain name suffix... instead of domainname.com, we named it domainname.internal.

Then, we setup our DNS servers so that domainname.internal's MX record pointed to our Zimbra server.

So now, the only people who could send email to anyone with a user@domainname.internal address are those using our internal DNS servers.

If that's undesirable for whatever reason, Postfix can solve it too.

In Zimbra's main.cf, you'd need a smtpd_recipient_restrictions line with a check_sender_access statement to specify who can send external mail.

To restrict who can receive messages, you'd want to add a smtpd_restriction_classes and check_recipient_access line.

I haven't done this in Zimbra, but there's no reason I can think of that should prevent it from working.

Hope that helps,
    -Eric

Default Wow that's nice

Perfect I'm going to shed a bit of a tear when I leave sendmail but a few of those all-nite affairs learning of it's specific weird-ities will not be missed.

are you a c-store chain? how many clients are you serving with your model?
    thanks timg

Perfect I'm going to shed a bit of a tear when I leave sendmail but a few of those all-nite affairs learning of it's specific weird-ities will not be missed.
    Yeah, I think you'll come to enjoy Postfix (well, really, anything that doesn't require generating a sendmail.cf ;-)

are you a c-store chain? how many clients are you serving with your model?
    c-store? I'm not quite sure what that is. So I suspect not :-)

The setup I'm referring to above is what I do at my day job, which is for a small-ish company (150-200 ppl), only a few of which use internal only addresses (less than 30).

I also do Zimbra and website hosting on the side for fun ;-) But none of those guys would want internal only addresses (or at least, it has yet to come up).

OTOH, that might be a half decent way to give the kids of some of the users on there email, but preventing them from receiving some of the crazy stuff that comes in spam.... giving them "family only email". Huh :-)

Anyhow, have fun!
    -Eric

Default good point.

Quote Originally Posted by andreychek View Post
    OTOH, that might be a half decent way to give the kids of some of the users on there email, but preventing them from receiving some of the crazy stuff that comes in spam.... giving them "family only email". Huh :-)

Anyhow, have fun!
    -Eric
    That's a great point........
    a c-store means.. convenience store. I work for an Exxon Mobil distributor.
    ...expressmart
    for some reason my boss dosen't want our store manager emailing and surfing the net hehehehe
    thanks again
    I'm just running a pseudo domain (hosting myown dns and mx recods)
    I'll need to migrate some 200 ish acounts so it'll be a process.
    I just need to test this functionality before I go production...

Default inter-domain emails only using permitted send/recieve lists

I personally like the smtpd_restriction_classes and check_recipient_access line suggestion. but there's also:
    Create a 'protected recipients' list (as user zimbra) - This is your list of email addresses that may only receive email from 'permitted senders'
    Create a 'permitted senders' list (as user zimbra) - This is your list of domains and/or users who can email your protected email addresses.
    of course using *@domain.com as the permitted senders
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...tfixRecipients

Of course this doesn't solve the SENDING issue, but I just pm'd it to someone else so i figured i'd backtrack and post it for you as well.
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-08-2007 at 03:02 PM.