Thread: Installation questions for Gentoo

Hybrid View

Default Installation questions for Gentoo

I have a gentoo server that I would like to put Zimbra (network professional version) on it. I have been doing my home work, but I still have a few questions. What it seems to come down to is installing debian + Zimbra in a chroot or doing a manual build from the SVN (as I understand it there are no stable source tar balls?). I don't really like the idea of installing debian in chroot as it requires a lot of overhead and extra maintenance. Installing from SVN seems a little unusual for a production environment.

So I have a questions. The server already has postfix, amavisd, mysql, etc, that Zimbra requires. You suggest using the Zimbra versions of the programs for compatibility and maintenance reasons. Does Zimbra modify more than just the configurations of these programs? Are they modified builds?

Am I asking for a world of pain by doing manual installs? I run 64bit gentoo, and it seems a shame run Zimbra in debian in 32bit mode. Besides the whole point of gentoo is to build from source

-auz

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you are considering installing the Network Edition of Zimbra on a Gentoo server - forget it. There is no build of Zimbra for that server and you will not get support for it. You must install the NE version on a supported platform.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.