Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RHEL4 Zimbra on CentOS5

Default RHEL4 Zimbra on CentOS5

I did an install of RHEL4 Zimbra on CentOS5 yesterday.

It all went pretty well with 2 exceptions.

1.) Spell isn't working. The zmapachectl thingy. When trying to start spell the error i get is:

/opt/zimbra/httpd-2.0.54/bin/httpd: error while loading shared libraries: libdb-4.2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

2.) Split DNS needs to configured on the box. It will actually receive mail from the outside world right now, but can't deliver it to the right mailbox. I set up Split DNS on an FC4 box and installed the open source version just as a test some weeks back and that fixed the same problem.

I thought things would be pretty similar between fc4 and CentOS5 but...

On my fc4 install, the files that were mentioned in the Wiki article on split DNS were all pretty much were they were supposed to be (ok, not exactly but i don't want to relive the chroot horrors i was intro'ed to!).

I downloaded bind as it says to in the article, but the files are all located in different directories and don't look anything at all like they did on the fc4 install.

For example, on the named.conf file, on the fc4 install it was located in the /etc directory just as indicated in the Wiki. In CentOS it is located in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/.

Should I create new files in the directories indicated in the Wiki article?

I've tried a couple of things on the spell problem that I've found in the forum with no luck and am worried I might do more harm then good.

Thanks In Advance for any ideas or tips!

A couple of things:

1. You may want to review the CentOS 5 install guide thread (sticky) in this forum.

2. I haven't looked at RHEL5 or CentOS 5 yet, but unless something has changed drastically I hate to tell you but you are probably going to have to "relive the chroot horrors" again. Maybe some things have changed on RHEL/CentOS5, but I don't think the named.conf in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ is what you want to be working on.

3. You mention that you installed the open source version on FC4. Maybe I'm reading too much between the lines, but does this now mean you are working with the Network Edition? If so, you do realize that CentOS is not one of the supported Operating Systems? You could run into issues getting "official" support for this type of install.

Hi,

1.) Yes, I did use that excellent how to guide. I deviated from it only in that I also installed graphical internet and kde.

2.) OK, I'm ready to give the chroot thing a whirl if need be. I got some really excellent help on it last time so I think I can go back thru those instructions and get it!
    I'm just a little confused that the files aren't in the right place and wondered if I should just create new ones on my own from scratch in the same directories they were in on the FC4 install.

3.) Yes, my initial test install was FC4 with the Open Source free version. Showed to management, but they couldn't quite grasp that the free version wasn't as feature rich as what we would wind up with. Thus, I installed CentOS on the machine and the Network Edition trial of Zimbra so they could see all the other features. I need to show to them on the 22nd. Once they say 'yes' I get to purchase a new server, RHEL and NE Zimbra.

Thanks

OK, if you've already followed the guide then that's a good thing. Not sure about your spell checking problems. Sounds like you are missing a 'devel' package or something.

For the DNS part of things I have a feeling that you don't have the DNS/Bind packages installed. Just took a quick look at the CentOS 5 install guide. If you followed that by the letter I don't think it includes the DNS stuff. Run an 'rpm -q bind' from the command line and see what it returns. On a CentOS 4 system I have the following packages: bind, bind-chroot, bind-libs, and bind-utils. You probably want something similar; you can get these packages installed either with yum, or through one of the graphical package installers.

how important is spell? what does it do? i saw a couple of posts in the forums where people skipped installation of it (i think).

on the dns, i did try:

yum install bind bind-chroot bind-libs bind-utils

using instructions from here:

http://www.wains.be/index.php/2007/0...dns-with-bind/

but, there is still no named.conf in /etc. there are now chroot files on the box. a chroot file in usr/bin/ and a chroot folder in var/named/.

can i just make my own named.conf in that directory and run with it?

the 'rpm -q bind' command returned 'bind-9.3.3-8.el5'

am i still missing bind stuff? I guess I'll try step 8 from that website and see if that helps.

Thanks!

I think the importance of spell depends on the answers to two questions about how you are going to be using Zimbra. First, are you going to be using the Zimbra Web Client at all? Second, if you are going to use the Web Client, what is your browser of choice? The Zimbra Web Client has a "Spell Check" icon when composing new messages. If you don't have spell installed I don't think you will be able to use this functionality with the Web Client. Personally I use Firefox 2.0, which now has an in-line spell checker. Even though I use the Web Client I rarely use the Zimbra "Spell Check" function because FF is checking as I'm typing.

As far as the DNS setup, I'm surprised that there is no named.conf file installed in the chroot named directory somewhere. Are you sure all the packages got installed when you ran the 'yum' command? With CentOS4 the named.conf file belongs to the bind-chroot package. I'd suggest running a 'rpm -q ' for each package you wanted to install with the yum command to make sure they are really installed. Then run a 'rpm -ql ' | grep named.conf' for each package to see if one of them contains the named.conf package.

I guess it is possible that they did away with default 'named.conf' file with RHEL5/CentOS5, but I kind of doubt it. You probably can create your own named.conf in the /var/chroot/named/etc directory. However, the fact that the file is missing is kind of a red flag to me.

ok, i'm gonna try and create my own then.

Thanks

ok, i'm gonna try and create my own then.
    Umm, OK, but if you haven't run the rpm commands that I suggested in my last post yet then I think you should. If for nothing else than a sanity check to be sure everything related to bind is properly installed.

Oh yeah, I did run rpm -q against them all and they were all there.

I never let a sanity check go by!

Default DNS Centos 5

Sorry i should have put it in the guide,

I have two of my own dns servers running bind and preconfigured with mx records and A records and public IPs, Then i setup the third server as a zimbra mail server with publc IP and all working, i also dont use the spell
    server.

the system has been running for a while now and very happy with the
    move to this product