Thread: Outlook 2000 migration - can I export calendars and tasks?

Hybrid View

Unhappy Outlook 2000 migration - can I export calendars and tasks?

I have seen in previous threads that Zimbra wont support an outlook 2000 migration, which is somewhat inconvenient.

The wiki page suggests that you should import a outlook 2000 PST file into the trial version of outlook 2003 (as the only supported version)... but you cannt download that anymore, as Microsoft are pushing office 2007, and I cannt see where Zimbra says that outlook 2007 is supported.

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...rt_Wizard_Tips

Finally, I cannt find a way of importing my calendar and tasks from outlook 2000 by CSV export and import , or anything similar.

I'm stuck - please can anyone offer any suggestions on how to migrate please? I'm only doing this for 2 users.

thanks in advance

Can you upgrade them to outlook 2003?
    Perhaps you can download the office 2003 trial and convert it that way.

john he did say...
    Quote Originally Posted by adesteele View Post
    but you cannt download that anymore, as Microsoft are pushing office 2007
    Alright so...
    Finally, I cannt find a way of importing my calendar and tasks from outlook 2000 by CSV export and import , or anything similar.
    Let's put tasks aside for a second.

My recomendation...

Install the zimbra server and setup users (make sure you can send/recieve email correctly)

To get the mail transfered. (posting all this because I really don't know your situation)
    If your old mail server is still up:
    You can imapsync the mail OR use thunderbird (our outlook) and log into both the old and new machines via IMAP at the same time. Simply copy the mail over.
    If old server is unabailable or if the mail is only stored locally (like if they downloaded it with pop):
    Use outlook to login via IMAP to the new zimbra server/setup.

For contacts, can you export them from outlook in .csv?
    If so, to import to zimbra simply login to the web client > options main tab > address book sub tab> import .csv section

For calendars can you export from outlook into ical (.ics) format?
    This is where it gets tricky, because outlook 2k required a bunch of patches to support ical properly (so I hope those are available)
    To import to zimbra, login to your box, su zimbra and run:
    curl -u user:thepassword --data-binary @/tmp/your.csv http:// server.domain.com/service/home/user/contacts?fmt=csv
    If it gives an error try replacing 'service' above with 'zimbra' -don't remember if that redirect was ever updated
    Also, don't put a space after http:// it's just that the fourms automatically make that a link no matter what I do.

More details (expecially on your mail setup) would be good, I'm also assuming your an open source user.
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-26-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: [quote] it made :p into a face, and [quote] or [code] hides the url, which I want displayed fully -even after clicking the 'remove link' button

I don't have an answer for you on tasks, but I can tell you how we migrated the calendar for our Outlook 2000 users. First, download the program outlook2ical found here. This will create a .ics file for the calendar. Next, take that file and copy it over to the Zimbra server. Then import the file into Zimbra using what I'll call the "curl method" descirbed on the User Migration wiki page.

We ran into a few minor issues using this method, but for the most part it worked out well.

Hope this helps.

Default Merged

adesteele, you double posted the threads when you made an edit.
    I merged 9046 & 9047 and deleted your post (the one without the link to the wiki page you examined).

Good work soxfan-
    This is an excellent solution if you don't have all the outlook 2000 patches/updates:

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    I don't have an answer for you on tasks, but I can tell you how we migrated the calendar for our Outlook 2000 users. First, download the program outlook2ical found here. This will create a .ics file for the calendar. Next, take that file and copy it over to the Zimbra server. Then import the file into Zimbra using what I'll call the "curl method" descirbed on the User Migration wiki page.
    curl -u user:yourpassword --data-binary @/tmp/your.ics http:// server.domain.com/service/home/schemers/calendar?fmt=ics
    (once again possibly try zimbra instead of service-and don't type the extra space) /tmp is the location to where you stored the ics on the zimbra server.