Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ldap error

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

In addition, there's a how-to for CentOS5 in this thread and the DNS set-up is also described in the 'DNS In A Nutshell' thread in the forums (do a search for that).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

For those who may view this thread in the future, an error 99 for ldap start is almost always a hostsfile issue.

It can't bind to an IP cause it can't connect to that particular IP.

ALWAYS make sure you hosts file is correct.
    This Thread Should be marked as Solved.. Coz this is the 100% solution of this Error...
    We learn something every day, and lots of times it's that what we learned the day before was wrong.

Jazaib Hussain

I've the same problem

I don't know is late... but

the problem for mi was the DNS. The DNS Server in /etc/resolv.conf don't have MX register.
    also review /etc/network and /etc/hosts

Default LDAP wont start

Hi everyone and mr phoenix,
    Im quite new at this so I am getting lost in my reconfiguration of my zimbra server. The server was first set using a local host, so now I am changing the servername to a new FQDN. What I first did was follow whats said in the wiki:
    Code:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetservername -n 
    After that I updated my /etc/hosts/, /etc/sysconfig/network, and /etc/resolv.conf to match the new domain name. But after reboot zimbra did not start. So when I did 'zmcontrol start' LDAP would not start. The error says:
    Code:
    Host -n
    Starting ldap...Done.
    FAILED
    Failed to start slapd. Attempting debug start to determine error.
    daemon: getaddrinfo() failed: Name or service not known
    I really dont know what to do anymore. I tried to follow some of the instructions in this thread to no avail ..Hope you can help me guys.

Thanks in advance.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by djdelossantos View Post
    Hi everyone and mr phoenix,
    Im quite new at this so I am getting lost in my reconfiguration of my zimbra server. The server was first set using a local host, so now I am changing the servername to a new FQDN. What I first did was follow whats said in the wiki:
    Code:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetservername -n 
    If that's the command you entered you haven't given it a new servername.

If this server contains no email and you don't mind starting again I'd suggest you remove the current configuration with the following command "./install.sh -u" - that will remove all the Zimbra installation from your server including any email you may have. When you've done that, go to the Split DNS wiki article and set-up your DNS A & MX records plus the correct /etc/hosts file then do the zimbra install again and make sure you change the domain name to the correct one when you're asked during the install.

You can check the DNS & hosts file configuration by running all the commands in the 'Verify...' section of the article - do that before you install zimbra to make sure everything is correct.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks phoenix,
    I'm sorry that was a typo. Yes I have put my new servername after "-n". So do we still stick to your last instruction even though I just typo-ed?

Hi phoenix,
    Is there no other way to fix this except by reinstalling? I feel there might have been a misconfiguration that I missed or did. From what I know when you want to change to a new server name you just edit the /etc/hosts/, /etc/sysconfig/network, and /etc/resolv.conf. I dont know else if there's something I missed out.

Default Fixed!

Hi phoenix, yeah just like you said I just reinstalled the zimbra server anyway and now its fixed! Im just puzzled why I had troubles renaming the hostname when I followed a step-by-step instructions from your wiki how to do it.
    Anyway, thanks!