Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - Installing right now - a few questions

Exclamation Help - Installing right now - a few questions

Hi all,

I am using FC4, since I have an old megaraid card that is only supported in older versions.

I get to the "intsallation type" - personal desktop, server, custom etc - which one should I select?

Are there some packages I should select - and some I shouldn't? For instance - should I install MySql as part of the install - or will it come with the Zimbra install?

Thanks,
    Rob

Custom
    Don't put mysql on

Give me a second-there's a recomended list of things to turn off/not install in the first place
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-26-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Smile

Thanks. Really appreciate the help.

Throwing you at these in pieces-i'll clean it up in a bit
    Disabling MySQL is optional but highly recommended.
    You will be prompted during the install (of zimbra) for any dependencies your missing but here's a few:

I know your doing OS-this comes from a NE doc, but should still be kinda pertinant
    For Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora Core and SuSE operating systems, the server must also have the following installed:

NPTL. Native POSIX Thread Library

Sudo. Superuser, required to delegate admins. -shouldn't have to change anything in fedora (it's mainly for suse)

libidn. For internationalizing domain names in applications (IDNA)

cURL. A command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax

fetchmail. A remote-mail retrieval and forwarding utility used for on-demand TCIP/IP links.

GMP. GNU Multiple-Precision Library.

compat-libstdc ++-33. Compatibility Standard C++ libraries.
    NOTE: The 32-bit version of the compat-libstdc rpm package is required for both 32-bit or 64-bit servers.

For Red Hat Enterprise only: compat-libstdc ++-296

Last edited by mmorse; 05-26-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Question

Ok - thanks for the prompt reply.

What I have on my screen though - after I selected "custom" - is the "package group selection." - which looks nothing like what you posted or what I found in the manual.

For instance - how do I select NPTL for install? I select a group like "server configuration tools" - go thru the Details list - and can't find anything like NPTL...

Thanks,
    rob

Ok - I've looked at this for the last half hour and I'm stumped. For instance, I look though every package and cannot find fetchmail for instance.

Should I be installing all of these items afterwards with YUM? Or am I making more out of this than it is?

Any help appreciated,
    Rob

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Install your operating system first and then add the packages after with yum.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks - that's what I'm doing. I just wanted to avoid the "brainfart" of missing something doing the install.

Rob

Sry about my delayed response-the forums went down when I wanted to reply-don't worry zimbra will let you know during the install process if it's missing a dependency; and as stated it's easy to add packages later

Smile

Status so far - the server is installed, I got to the Zimbra web configuration page. Small issue reported about SMTP port 25 - probably an issue with the Sonicwall firewall which shouldn't be a problem to fix. Here's what I need to figure out today...

My old system (phoney domain names):

Exchange box was named mail.robnet.local. Email addresses came to user@therobcenter.org. My internal domain is obviously robnet.local.

I installed zimbra as zimbra.robnet.local. Thinking I would follow the pattern of the Exchange box.

So how do I setup Zimbra to receive emails for therobcenter.org? Can this be done?

Or, should I uninstall Zimbra, rename the server to something else (say mail.therobcenter.org same as the old Exchange box) then reinstall Zimbra?

I also want the users to authenticate to active directory, if that affects what I do with the domain naming issue.

Thanks for any and all help. This is literally a "crash course" for me. Normally I would do a lot of research before doing an install but circumstances dictate otherwise.

Also - I have Barracuda Spam Firewall that scans all incoming emails for Spam and Viruses. Is there a way of turning these off in Zimbra? I would like to leave those services on the Barracuda since it has been running for years and does an excellent job.

Thanks,
    Rob