Thread: Installing onto linux host

Default Installing onto linux host

I know very little about linux, particularly the different versions, and how to use it. I am looking at putting Zimbra onto my website for me to use. The website is hosted on linux (by nativespace).

I have downloaded the files and uploaded them to the site but then after that i get a bit confused. Do i need to have access to the terminal, or any server information. Can i even install it onto a remotely hosted site? The documentation seems to be about how to install it on the local machine.

Can anyone help me set it up?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Installing on your remote host would be exactly the same as installing it on a local machine. You'll need terminal access and you'll need the same set-up for the /etc/hosts file and the DNS A & MX records.

Extract the file you've downloaded and when you've done the DNS & hosts file just run the Zimbra installer. Have you read the Quick Start Guide or any of the documentation here?

[edit] You do realise that Zimbra is a complete Collaboration Suite (inc. a mailserver etc.) don't you? What is it you're trying to achieve?
    Last edited by phoenix; 05-30-2007 at 01:26 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

If this is a shared host you are out of luck as well, not only because it is a complete solution, but because you need full root access to perform the install.
    Jacob Turner
    Ringnebula Systems - Ukiah, CA

I just checked out your hosting companies site. Looks like a very feature rich web hosting company.

However for Zimbra's install you need either a Dedicated server or virtual dedicated server, which they do not offer(or I couldn't find)

With your current hosting you can upload data and install web applications that use PHP/databases...

But Zimbra is a true Java application that runs at the system level and therefore is outside of the abilities of your hosting service.

Godaddy.com, my provider of choice because they're cheap and I'm cheap, charges 30-100/mo for the type of server you could install Zimbra on. I'm not suggesting them, just giving you an idea of the price range.

Also, you could host it from your own internet connection (as long as your ISP allows) and then the only cost is a PC being powered on at your house 24/7.

Welcome and good luck!

Ah ok then, i was wondering how i would be able to have access to the terminal as it would then mess up everyones stuff. Thanks a lot guys. I might have a look at hosting it myself then as i will be using i will probably want to set up an ftp server too.
    Cheers