Thread: Zimbra Webmail Standalone

Default Zimbra Webmail Standalone

Hi,

I searched all over the forum for this, please don't flame me if I missed something.

I want to know, is it possible to install zimbra webmail client as a standalone ? Why? because we have a qmail server with vpopmail with over 15000 mailboxes, difficult to migrate. I want to know can zimbra webmail be installed as standalone, retrieving mail using standard imap and pop3, a little like roundcube.

Please tell me it's possible !

Second question, is there a qmail/vpopmail migration utility for zimbra ?

Sincerely,

cookie

Welcome to the forums,
    when you say 'standalone' what exactly do you mean?
    Zimbra is a server backend, the webmail client is the frontend. The two go together like bees and honey.

Looking at RoundCube Webmail Project : perhaps you meant modify zimbra desktop or the web client frontend to use a non-zimbra server backend; then the simple answer is no.
    The whole point is that zimbra desktop communicates way more than the standard imap client like thunderbird in order to achieve offline access and sync. (same goes for the live webmail frontend-minus offline access of course) There's way more content being communicated back and forth than just mail.

Assuming you use/can turn on IMAP: Your best migration method from qmail/vpopmail server to zimbra server would probably be to use imapsync: User Migration - ZimbraWiki
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-04-2007 at 10:21 PM.

You could also deploy zimbra as a front end and have it POP in mail from your existing mail servers into zimbra... not sure how robust that solution would be

If you're skilled, you could try to hack together the Zimbra Desktop with another MTA.

It's Open Source, so you can mess with it a lot

Quote Originally Posted by umoorjani View Post
    Hi,

I searched all over the forum for this, please don't flame me if I missed something.

I want to know, is it possible to install zimbra webmail client as a standalone ? Why? because we have a qmail server with vpopmail with over 15000 mailboxes, difficult to migrate. I want to know can zimbra webmail be installed as standalone, retrieving mail using standard imap and pop3, a little like roundcube.

Please tell me it's possible !

Sincerely,

cookie
    It's not possible, at least not without a lot of work. The primary reason why is because Zimbra is tightly integrated into Lucene, MySQL, Tomcat, Amavisd-new, Postfix to provide a set of services. Those services are exposed via SOAP-JSON interfaces to the front end. It's the front end itself that parses the MIME, not the backend. No static HTML pages are generated. This gives Zimbra a lot of advantages performance wise, and allows for a truly independent application running on the front end as opposite to just pretty DHTML pages.

This allows things like Zimbra Desktop. It makes other options much harder. In particular the Store (how Zimbra stores mail, indexes it for searches, tags, etc) is pretty tightly coupled.

What you ask for is possible, but it would be a herculean task.

As far as migration utilities go, take a look at IMAPsync.

ouch that hurts man, I took a look at imapsync, the issue is passwords, I know the wiki talks about it but I'm not in an ldap environment.