Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: upgrade woes -made into new thread

Default Installation woes

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You need a local DNS server with A & MX records to be able to resolve the address of your server. Search the wiki for split DNS.
    I looked at the wiki, but since I am not up to speed on dns, I am not sure whether to reach into that bag of snakes just yet.

Are you suggesting that my attempted installation that thinks it is an upgrade has something to do with dns? Or are you just responding to the LDAP issue? I have seen some postings from other folks on Macs who seem not to have had these kinds of problems. Any idea why mine should be different?

I am still mystified about the new-vs-upgrade problem. If I went to a clean machine that had never heard of zimbra and tried to do an install of 4.5.5, would I see these dns issues? When I did my initial 4.0 installation, this never came up.

Thanks

JEH

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you're behind a NAT device you need a DNS server installed on your LAN otherwise we can't resolve the address of your local Zimbra server. I don't know what you did originally nor what you've read about other set-up, I'm just saying that you need DNS to resolve your problem.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Wink DNS set up, but no changein install problems

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If you're behind a NAT device you need a DNS server installed on your LAN otherwise we can't resolve the address of your local Zimbra server. I don't know what you did originally nor what you've read about other set-up, I'm just saying that you need DNS to resolve your problem.
    I got the split DNS thing set up (BTW, I discovered a neat utility called DNS Enabler from Cutedge Systems that takes the hassle out of the process). Unfortunately, nothing has changed. Zimbra still thinks this is an upgrade (WHERE IS IT HIDING THAT INFORMATION?) and I still get exactly the same failure after LDAP starts up.

I really want to get Zimba running again, but have no clue what to do next other than the sort of thing you would do with Windows (format the disk and start from scratch...)

JEH

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarlow View Post
    (WHERE IS IT HIDING THAT INFORMATION?)
    I didn't look to see what OS you're on(if you posted it), but zimbra will pull that from the RPM db or dpkg

You should run(I think it's)

rpm -q Zimbra

or

dpkg -i Zimbra

If data exists, then the system will attempt an upgrade.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    I didn't look to see what OS you're on(if you posted it), but zimbra will pull that from the RPM db or dpkg

You should run(I think it's)

rpm -q Zimbra

or

dpkg -i Zimbra

If data exists, then the system will attempt an upgrade.
    Let me recap what is going on. I am running MacOS X 10.4.9 with all of the latest updates. There seem to be 2 issues, possibly unrelated, but I am not sure:

1. Apparently I need to be running a split DNS setup, since I am behind a router that does NAT. I think I have that set up now, but I don't know exactly what to do to verify it.

2. I originally had a 4.0.something intallation that worked fine with no DNS stuff. I tried to do an upgrade to 4.5.5, and it failed. I uninstalled and tried to do a clean install from 4.5.5, but it insists that I am doing an upgrade, not a new installation. I have tried everything short of formatting the disk, but it still seems to have some knowledge of the previous installation. I don't know whether this is an issue or not. I have no idea how it knows about the previous installation.

I just went through the uninstall instructions for OS X in the wiki again, and followed them carefully. I ran install-mac.sh -u, then repaired permissions and rebooted. The zimbra user was not there, and /opt/zimbra was gone. I downloaded a clean copy of the .dmg file and ran the installation; it told me I was upgrading! I then ran the zmsetup.pl script, and it failed on setting up LDAP again. I looked at the log file, and it told me that there was no slapd.conf file in /opt/zimbra/conf. Sure enough, there was a slapd.conf.in file, but no slapd.conf. Taking a wild guess, I made a copy of slapd.conf.in and called it slapd.conf and re-ran the script. This time, it told me the following:

Starting ldap...
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapindex -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf
    /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf: line 106: unknown level "@@ldap_log_level@@"
    slapindex: bad configuration file!

Probably what I did was invalid, but I think there may be a problem with the configuration files here (although I don't know what the problem might be). Here is what I have in /opt/zimbra/conf:

harlow:/opt/zimbra/libexec root# ls -l /opt/zimbra/conf
    total 648
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 28082 May 3 22:50 amavisd.conf.in
    drwxr-xr-x 4 zimbra zimbra 136 May 3 22:50 attrs
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 8271 May 3 22:50 clamd.conf.in
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 600 May 3 22:50 com.zimbra.zcs.plist
    -r--r--r-- 1 root zimbra 25897 Jun 6 17:01 dspam.conf
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 25885 May 3 22:50 dspam.conf.bak
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 3163 May 3 22:50 freshclam.conf.in
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 35233 May 3 23:11 httpd.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 191 Jun 6 17:11 localconfig.xml
    -rw-r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 4130 May 3 22:50 log4j.properties
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 89 May 3 22:50 logswatchrc
    drwxr-xr-x 4 zimbra zimbra 136 May 3 22:50 msgs
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 593 May 3 22:50 my.logger.cnf
    -r--r--r-- 1 root zimbra 11898 Jun 6 17:01 perdition.conf.in
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 11889 May 3 22:50 perdition.conf.in.bak
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 45523 May 3 23:11 php.ini
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 488 May 3 22:50 postfix_header_checks.in
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 1092 May 3 22:50 postfix_recipient_restrictions.cf
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 1024 May 3 22:50 salocal.cf.in
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root zimbra 5465 Jun 6 17:11 slapd.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 zimbra wheel 5465 Jun 6 17:11 slapd.conf.in
    drwxr-xr-x 59 zimbra zimbra 2006 May 3 22:50 spamassassin
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 1900 May 3 22:50 swatchrc.in
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 25491 May 3 22:50 timezones.ics
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 3198 May 3 22:50 wildfire.xml
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 94 May 3 22:50 zimbra.ld.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 980 Jun 6 17:11 zimbra.ldif
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 664 May 3 22:50 zmlogrotate
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 4298 May 3 22:50 zmmta.cf
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 7650 May 3 22:50 zmssl.cnf.in
    harlow:/opt/zimbra/libexec root#

This includes the copied slapd.conf file I created.

So what I need from some guru at zimbra is:
    1. Some advice on how to test my split DNS installation to make sure it is doing the correct things.
    2. Some analysis on the upgrade vs. new installation issue: How does it know about the previous installation, and is this even a problem. I may be chasing a red herring here....
    3. Your opinion or suggestions on the LDAP configuration problem. I am not sure what its issue is, but this seems to be the killer in my attempts to reinstall.

Default Re: Upgrade vs. new installation

I have found out what causes a supposedly fresh installation to think that it is an upgrade (my question #2 in the previous post). When you run install-mac.sh -u, it is supposed to delete all of the package receipts for the zimbra modules, but in fact it does not delete them. Next time you run zmsetup.pl, it looks for those receipts to distinguish between a new or upgrade installation.

The problem is, I can't see why it is not deleting those receipts. At line 197 of the script, it executes the following shell command:

rm -rf /opt/zimbra /Library/Receipts/zimbra-* 2> /dev/null

This should certainly work, since you have to run the script as root, and it does in fact delete /opt/zimbra, but the receipts stay there. I even copied that line in the script and pasted it into the command prompt, and this time, it worked. I have no clue why it would not work when issued from the script, but it doesn't; I even tried it on a different machine and got exactly the same symptoms.

Anyway, I now know what to do to solve at least that problem...

JEH

Default New vs Upgrade

Just FYI for everyone interested in this topic: I manually deleted the receipts and reinstalled from the .dmg file and ran the zmsetup.pl script, and everything proceeded normally. From looking at the scripts, it appears that in an upgrade, it is assumed that there is a lot of configuration information already available, and the scripts don't check to see that it is actually there. This seems to have been the LDAP problem that I reported.

So if you are on a Mac and are planning to do a clean install on a machine that had aprevious installation, go delete all of the receipt files in /Library/Receipts that begin with "zimbra" before you start, and you will be OK.

JEH

Hey Justin,
    I'm curious, did you follow the uninstallation instructions originally in the wiki?
    Uninstalling Zimbra on Mac OS X (Tiger) - ZimbraWiki
    I'm just wondering if those instructions are not working.

Thanks
    john

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Hey Justin,
    I'm curious, did you follow the uninstallation instructions originally in the wiki?
    Uninstalling Zimbra on Mac OS X (Tiger) - ZimbraWiki
    I'm just wondering if those instructions are not working.

Thanks
    john
    Yes, I did follow them, and I think that they are OK. But there seems to be some problem with that mac uninstall script itself. For whatever reason, it tells you that it is deleting the receipts, but it doesn't do it. The code looks good too; no clue what the problem is, but it did the same thing on 2 different Macs. After I deleted the receipts manually and re-ran from the original dmg file, it did a clean install and everything seems to be working fine.

JEH