Thread: Postfix configuration in a Zimbra rPath appliance

Default Postfix configuration in a Zimbra rPath appliance

Back into testing and checking configuration. This may be more appropriate to the admin thread but I consider this installation as I'm still configuring the system.

Scenario:
    We have a pile of aliases and virtual addresses in our current postfix set up. So to make migration to Zimbra easier I was checking the postfix values for alias_maps and virtual_alias_maps. Yes, Zimbra does have the ability to handle this with it's aliases and distribution lists but that will take time to script to get them all in.

So a realistic solution is to use our current postfix alias files.

Issue:

In /var/log/maillog:
    Jun 7 05:09:27 localhost postfix/smtpd[31548]: connect from zimbratest.xx.yyy.com[127.0.0.1]
    Jun 7 05:09:27 localhost postfix/trivial-rewrite[31541]: warning: do not list domain zimbratest.xx.yyy.com in BOTH mydestination and virtual_mailbox_domains
    Jun 7 05:09:27 localhost postfix/smtpd[31548]: DD3F720B04E0: client=zimbratest.xx.yyy.com[127.0.0.1]

So it's taking the machine name as the value for mydomain.

Fix:
    Add to main.cf:
    mydoman = yyy.com

Questions:
    Now, everything seems to work. However:
    1. Have I broken something I don't know about?
    2. Will these changes need to be redone after any upgrade?

I don't need an answer (although it would be nice) but the dev team may want to think about this. I think if they try setting mydomain in postfix it may help. It won't be right 100% of the time but something like:

echo "mydomain = " `uname -n | awk -F. '{print $(NF-1) "." $NF}' `>>main.cf

would help the config stage of Zimbra's postfix.

This warning doesn't hurt anything. FWIW this is fixed for ZCS 5.0 as Bug 11630. The installation defaults to using the hostname to create the first mail domain. Why not create the "yyy.com" domain if you want to use it:

su - zimbra
    zmprov createDomain yyy.com

I wasn't worried about anything being broken. I just knew how to solve this item.
    When I started testing about two weeks ago I didn't realize the Zimbra domain was used as the "mydomain" attribute in postfix. I was thinking the items were orthognal.

When we move to production the domain will be yyy.com after this. The fewer error messages that exist the easier it is to see real issues.

It's just a little thing I noticed when testing aliases to spawn command line processing from email. Some people are worried about this sort of thing and it may help if this is considered in the postfix configuration side of Zimbra.