Thread: 5.0 Beta Test Server Install - Sanity Check

Hybrid View

Default 5.0 Beta Test Server Install - Sanity Check

Just wanted a little sanity check before I went ahead and installed the 5.0 beta on a test server.

Currently in the midst of a slow migration from a Linux/Postfix/POP3 environment to Zimbra. We have things setup in a "Split Domain" configuration, with the "old" server being the boss. My internal MX records point to the old server, so all email for our domain (let's say mydomain.com) comes to this server first. Then I'm using the Postfix transport table on a user by user basis to forward mail for the migrated users over to the Zimbra server. We are using another server as an SMTP server.

My plan is to install the 5.0 beta on the test server and configure it just like the live server; meaning the domain will be "mydomain.com" on both Zimbra servers. I'll then use the transport table mechanism on the old Linux email server to forward email for a few test accounts over to the beta server. So, basically a two way Split Domain setup, with the old server still being in charge of things.

Anyone see any issues with this type of setup? The live Zimbra server is not going to find the beta server and "freak out" in any way because they both are setup for "mydomain.com", is it?

You may have problems if you're using DNS only.

If your going to do it this way you probably want to make sure resolv.conf line for hosts says "files dns" and make sure your host file on each machine is correct.

I'm assuming the domain's MX record will point to the old machine until you've migrated everyone.

We're planning it a little differently. We have an MX record for the old machine as the domain. The MX record for the new machine is the new machine only. When we're ready we'll turn the MX domain record over to the new machine and use a CNAME record for the old mail server name to point to the new server.

This gets around the DNS issues.

Not sure I'm understanding you on the potential for DNS issues. The internal MX record for our domain points to the old Linux email server. We are using another server for an SMTP server. So all email messages, internal and external, flow from the SMTP server to the old LInux server. Then based on the Postfix transport table I can redirect mail on a user by user basis to the live Zimbra server or the test, beta server.

From your description of the topology you shouldn't have a problem. It wasn't clear to me on the first posting.