Thread: client POP issues

Default client POP issues

I'm using the open source edition and I have one server with a total of 3 domains. My issue is that I can POP mail using Thunderbird client for the "main" domain that matches the server name but not the 2 additional domains created. All domains can be reached seperately using the web GUI but not with a POP client.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please provide us with some errors, dialog boxes and so forth. See what shows up in the zimbra logs, maybe there are some authentication issues.

How are you attempting to pop3 the emails from the other two domains? You might have to use 'username@domain.com' as the login (not just username). Does everything function just fine with the webmail client?

I haven't done anything like this so take my advice as ramblings from a zimbra fan[atic]

Dallas

I'll try to describe more accurately:

mail.domain1.com - main server setup
    mail.domain2.com - in admin page shows as additional domain
    mail.domain3.com - in admin page shows as additional domain

Virtual host for additional domain 2 & 3 is setup so they can be reached via web GUI with their addresses accordingly. There's no issue reaching any domain and sending and or receiving in the web GUI. There's no need to specify @domain2.com or @domain3.com in web GUIs. All setup accordingly.

In any mail client where I'm trying to POP mail, I can POP the main server mail using mail.domain1.com and smtp.domain.com but no others work. Upon setup, I get username and password errors in the mail client no matter if I specify @domain2.com or not. I'm using mail.domain2.com and smtp.domain2.com. If I use domain1 info and @domain2.com in user/pass it still does not work. Example of error below:

Task 'mail.domain2.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR invalid username/password'

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by reckless2k2 View Post
    Task 'mail.domain2.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR invalid username/password'
    If the FQDN of your server is mail.domain1.com that's where you point your pop client and login with fred@domain2.com & password.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I get an error saying invalid username/password when I try that.

POP = mail.domain1.com
    SMTP = smtp.domain1.com
    ACCT = user@domain2.com

In the admin page, I have the virtual host setup for domain2.com and domain3.com. Do I have to also include domain1.com in the virtual host now to point back to domain1.com? If I do that, then GUI login will act funny trying to login for similar usernames though. IE. I have me@domain1.com and me@domain2.com.

Can anyone post if they have had any success accessing multiple domains on one server using a POP or IMAP mail client?

I can access the domain that matches the server install but can not POP mail from additional domains added with a POP client. I can access the web GUI for each domain and send/receive but not able to use with outside client.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by reckless2k2 View Post
    Can anyone post if they have had any success accessing multiple domains on one server using a POP or IMAP mail client?

I can access the domain that matches the server install but can not POP mail from additional domains added with a POP client. I can access the web GUI for each domain and send/receive but not able to use with outside client.
    Yes, I can access the accounts (that have an alias) on my system without problems.

I have a server with an FQDN of mail.domain.com and an account as fred@domain.com, there are several additional domains on this server domain2.com, domain3.co.uk and fred@domain.com has an alias for each of those domains i.e. mary@domain3.co.uk - I can login to mary3@domain.co.uk (via IMAP in Thunderbird) and see the same mail as if I'd logged in to fred@domain.com
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I think I got it now, I have to setup aliases between domains in order to pull mail. I will test this out because I want the reply address to match the address sent to. I'll play around with this but I get the idea. Just requires a little more plugging around.

Thanks.

I still can't get it to work. I'm struggling with this. Plain english:

reckless2k2@mail.domain1.com with an alias of smiles@domain2.com

Domain1 is the only server that appears under "servers" in the admin page. I have domain1 and domain2 under "domains" in the admin page.

When I setup thunderbird I do:

email = smiles@domain2.com
    pop = mail.domain1.com
    smtp = smtp.domain1.com

I get a user/passwd error. If I do:

email = smiles@domain2.com
    pop = mail.domain2.com
    smtp = smtp.domain2.com

I get a user/passwd error.

I've done the zmcontrol stop and start, tomcat stop and start all with no success. PM me if necessary but I'm really struggling with this one.
    Thanks for any help.