Thread: VMWare Virtual Appliance --- License Question

Hybrid View

Default VMWare Virtual Appliance --- License Question

I have installed the VMWare virtual appliance on a trial, it's all working as far as I can tell (which is an improvement from my attempts with Debian!!) but I have one query before I migrate some emails over. What happens when my trial license runs out? Will the server stop working or will it roll over to an OSS type install. I have no plans to use the Outlook connector or mobile sync so I don't think I'll miss those function (I may be proved wrong). Just thought I'd better check on the license thing before I become too dependent on it.

Hello & welcome.

Network Edition also provides hot backup/restore, are you sure you don't need them ?

For the specific case of the VM Image, I think you can not "upgrade" to te "Open Source Edition" because it's not released for rPath (the "OS" that runs in the VM).

I might do, but I certainly won't need 25 clients, which means I'd be paying through the nose for the ability to do a hot backup. I was under the impression the code for OSS and the network edition was the same, it's just the license enabled the advanced features.

I have just tried advancing the time, and the user interface informed me that my license had expired, but the admin interface said I had 61 days left(!) I was really wondering whether it would cease to work when my trial was up or if just the advanced features would expire

Along these same lines, is it possible to set up a fetchmail system on the rPath appliance?

If you know you will want only the OSS version, why not just set it up from scratch in a VM ? VMWare server is free as is the OS and Zimbra, it takes longer to get running that just starting the rpath version, but in the end you'll have something you know more about incase something goes wrong.

This is true, but I was having issues with that (serious head-banging issues) so I thought I'd take the easy way out. Having read around the wiki, it doesn't look like it's a good idea, it says that I lose the ability to provision mail boxes when the license runs out, although the mailboxes may continue to work "for a time", which is quite non committal, so I'm going to have another go at setting it up, with CentOS instead of debian.

I just want a resources minimal install, all I require it for is to keep my mail (and possibly my girlfriends) on and a calendar/address book, so I can have the same set of data on about 6 computers!