Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .pst migration issues

The problem you are facing while importing the .pst files is not because of the Operating system you are having, but the .pst files you are trying import are corrupted. So you have to first repair those corrupt .pst files using PST Repair Software and then proceed importing.

The best way to import PST is to do a DATA import within OUTLOOK after using the connector. I have tryied a whole bunch of confing prior to do it the simple way.

I also have done the ADD data file (the old PST) and drag folders / files to the Zimbra folder. worked well if the folders are not too big, otherwaise it takes time and could crash Outlook if you are trying to use Outlook while the process is still happening

the SCANPST is removed if you install the Zimbra Connector. so that option is rulled out.

One think you need to do is make sure that the FOLDERS name within the PST does not contain ANY special caracters such as $#? or /. this applies to the category feild within the contacts too. clean them prior to the migration.

Good Luck

Alexandre
    McGuire NETWORKS
    Alexandre McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by jimklein View Post
    I'm testing Zimbra as our new email server platform & am currently importing my .pst to prove the system processes.

My .pst size is 113M and I've gone through the .pst repair wizard and ensured that it is not corrupt but am only able to get the process started for a few minutes before it says too many errors & dies. (but it does successfully import 100+ emails & inbox folders so I know that things are trying to work)

My questions are:
    -How well is this process supposed to work or worked for others? (as-in, if we use Zimbra I'd have to convert/upload 150 users .pst's so the process would need to work well)

-I was on Vista & Office 2003, is there anything that says that XP would be
    better?

Much thanks,
    Jim
    Hi Jim,

We have found that scanpst.exe doesn't always fix everything.

When we get stuck trying to import a pst file that Zimbra thinks is broken, we note in which folder the alleged broken message is stored. Then, we archive that folder to a separate pst file and delete the folder in Outlook. At that point, we run the Zimbra PST Import tool again.

Once we have imported what we can, we set up a new profile in Outlook, import the allegedly broken pst file(s) one at a time, and run the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool after each import, and then try to import the "fixed" pst file again.

In other words, the trick we use is get the corrupted bits out of the pst file we are trying to import into a separate pst file (or files), and then try to fix those cleaved off pst files on their own before importing them.

We have also used the Outlook Archiving feature, in those cases where the user kept everything in their Inbox folder.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    Hi Jim,

We have found that scanpst.exe doesn't always fix everything.

When we get stuck trying to import a pst file that Zimbra thinks is broken, we note in which folder the alleged broken message is stored. Then, we archive that folder to a separate pst file and delete the folder in Outlook. At that point, we run the Zimbra PST Import tool again.

Once we have imported what we can, we set up a new profile in Outlook, import the allegedly broken pst file(s) one at a time, and run the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool after each import, and then try to import the "fixed" pst file again.

In other words, the trick we use is get the corrupted bits out of the pst file we are trying to import into a separate pst file (or files), and then try to fix those cleaved off pst files on their own before importing them.

We have also used the Outlook Archiving feature, in those cases where the user kept everything in their Inbox folder.

Hope that helps,
    Mark
    I like the suggestion of Zedrick that use "stellar phoenix" whenever you lost or corrupt your pst file good software i used in past.

cheers..