Thread: migration old zimbra to new version

Default migration old zimbra to new version

Hi all,

I'm trying to migrate a open source version 3.1.4 (debian) on a new server with the 4.5.9 (debian) open source version installed.

I tried to do a imapsync but the first server dosent let imapsync connect. (I tried with, ssl, login, plain(clear text activated in the admin console) etc.

Is there a way to migrate every account from the old server on the new server without imapsync ? ( a zimbra utility perhaps ?) I looked on the website and forum and found nothing on this... maybe I missed something.

Thanks for any help on this.

Jeff C.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

Effectively what you need to do is install the same release of Zimbra on the new server, copy the /opt/zimbra directory using rsync to the new server the run an upgrade install of the same version of Zimbra as you previously installed. You may need to run the zmfixperms utility, you may also need to reset the mysql & ldap passwords (check the wiki for details). When you've done that and made sure the server and Zimbra is working OK you can run an upgrade to the most recent release. You may actually need to upgrade to a 4.0.x release before going to 4.5.9

That assumes your new server will have the same hostname & IP address os the original server.

There shgould be a step-by-step of those procedures on the forums, if there's something you don't understand or have problems with post again.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ok, tried your suggestion.

the problem I get is that the new server is running debian 4.0
    4.5.9 can install with no problem but 3.1.4 is another story

I modified the install so it would start on the server but the fist package dosent install well. I get a FAILED on installing the zimbra-core_3.1.4

(this is after I rsynced the old server onto the new one)

and also, reinstalling the 3.1.4 version dosent upgrade it but deletes /opt/zimbra so i'm stuck.

I tried (just for the fun of it) running 4.5.9 on top of the 3.1.4 copied version but it dosent see the copy and wants to delete the /opt/zimbra directory.

anything else in mind ? backup of the user system and restoring it on a 4.5.9 version perhaps ?

pretty mutch in the dirt with this one.

Thanks,

Jeff C.

How about getting to 4.0 on the old server?

Make a good backup of it first - obviously backup any other mounted locations that you use, the below is just assuming everything's stored in /opt/zimbra/
    su zimbra
    zmcontrol stop
    exit/switch back to root
    ps aux | grep zimbra (kill -9 pid on any remaining)
    mkdir /backup
    rsync -avHK /opt/zimbra/ /backup/zimbra

When that finishes, if you want you can tar it up as well for 'easy' movement to another location:
    mkdir /backuptar
    tar -zcvf /backuptar/zimbra.314.200711##.backup.gz -C /backup/zimbra .

---
    Eventually you'll be able to use these directions: /blog/archives/2007/10/moving_zcs_to_another_server.html

and also, reinstalling the 3.1.4 version dosent upgrade it but deletes /opt/zimbra so i'm stuck.
    If the installer doesn't find zimbra in the dpkg database, it will remove /opt/zimbra upon install.

You should install a dummy copy of 3.1.4, then remove it and replace it with your install. Then upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    How about getting to 4.0 on the old server?

Make a good backup of it first - obviously backup any other mounted locations that you use, the below is just assuming everything's stored in /opt/zimbra/
    su zimbra
    zmcontrol stop
    exit/switch back to root
    ps aux | grep zimbra (kill -9 pid on any remaining)
    mkdir /backup
    rsync -avHK /opt/zimbra/ /backup/zimbra

When that finishes, if you want you can tar it up as well for 'easy' movement to another location:
    mkdir /backuptar
    tar -zcvf /backuptar/zimbra.314.200711##.backup.gz -C /backup/zimbra .

---
    Eventually you'll be able to use these directions: /blog/archives/2007/10/moving_zcs_to_another_server.html

That would be a good idea but, the old server is running zimbra on gentoo inside a vserver (virtual server) and the new server is running on a real debian 4.0 base. So you see that i don't want to install the new zimbra on a virtual server or on a gentoo base.

thanks for the idea tough!

Jeff C.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    If the installer doesn't find zimbra in the dpkg database, it will remove /opt/zimbra upon install.

You should install a dummy copy of 3.1.4, then remove it and replace it with your install. Then upgrade.

Ok well, Like a said, the zimbra-core of 3.1.4 dosent install right on a debian 4.0 so, even at that, It wont install the first time.

thanks tough!

Can you please provide the logs for the failed install?

Also, do you have SELinux disabled?