Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groupwise Migration problems

Default Groupwise Migration problems

I recently upgraded from open source Zimbra 4.5.1 to 4.5.9 and stopped partway through at 4.5.6 to grab the GroupWise migration tool. The exact version is ZCSGroupwiseMigrationWizard-4.5.6_GA_1023 Version 4.5. I am attempting to run the wizard on a windows 2000 machine that has GW client 6.5.0 and Netware client 4.91.2.20051209.

The problem is that I am getting thousands of lines in the log that look similar to the following three lines:
    Code:
    16-11-2007 01:30:55 [2320]: (MI): WARNING: Message skipped, Failed to get Appointment Interface d(Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:30:49 -0000) fid(010)
    16-11-2007 01:30:55 [2320]: Messages type not supported, skipping message mid(422F0600.aName.aNamePO.100.1713373.1.16F1.1)
    16-11-2007 01:48:59 [3448]: (MI): ERROR: Failed to get a Address Book, skipping Address Book Frequent Contacts
    The only thing that it appears to be doing is creating the folder structure from the users email box.
    Any ideas as to what is going on or how to fix it? I have been unable to find anything relating to this issue in the forums so far.
    Tomorrow I will be trying on a Windows XP computer to see if that makes any difference.

Default "issues" with the GW migration util

I get the feeling that there were some issues/problems with the GW migration utility, as it was not even available in later releases (as you noticed).

Not sure if it is a good idea, but I've been using the one that was included in the 5.0 BETA 3 release. It is not perfect, and still throws some error msgs. on some to-be-migrated messages... but it seems to do a better job than previous releases. I've used it on about 5 people so far.

hth,
    Greg

Do you know whether or not the migration wizard from 5.0 RC1 will cause problems on my 4.5.9? This server is in production and although I have rarely seen a major issue with beta software from Zimbra it is still better to be safe then sorry so I don't think I want to upgrade to the 5.0 RC on the main server. I can upgrade a test machine and get the installer from that though if it wont cause issues with migrating to the 4.5.9 server and not a 5.0 RC1 server.

Default you should be fine

We have 4.5.9 NE edition in production here... although, as I stated, only about 5 migrated users on it. So yes, I used that beta GW Migration util to our production 4.5.9 server (from GW 6.5), and it mostly worked fine.

It creates a slightly better logfile, in your C:\documents and settings\$USER\Local Settings\Temp\ZCSGroupwiseMigrationWizard-5.0.0_BETA3_1224\ directory, worth perusing.

PM me know if you need the utility - no reason in downloading the entire release just for that

Ok using the 5.0 BETA 3 migration wizard I am in the same situation still. It is migrating the folders but no email, calender items, or contacts.

In the log it has now added the following lines at the beginning which leads me to suspect that something about the LDAP setup isn't correct.
    Code:
    16-11-2007 09:19:16 [3424]: ldap_result returned no LDAP_RES_SEARCH_ENTRY. Success, 101
    16-11-2007 09:19:16 [3424]: ldap_result returned no LDAP_RES_SEARCH_ENTRY. Parameter Error, -1
    Mail entries in the log are now showing the subject like the following:
    Code:
    16-11-2007 09:22:08 [3380]: (MI): WARNING: Message skipped, Failed to get Mail Interface Sub([RBG7-L] - Re: Page Style), d(Sat, 2 Jun 2007 07:34:29 -0000), fid(269)
    Also this was probably in the logs before and I just didn't see it but here is another type of error I am seeing.
    Code:
    16-11-2007 09:26:27 [3380]: (MI): WARNING: Message skipped, Failed to get Appointment Interface d(Z) fid(76217240)
    It appears that it is enumerating everything correctly but is just unable to read the actual contents of the GW email boxes.

Just as a side note I am only attempting the 6 IT users right now with a total of about 30K messages. Once I get this working I will be migrating the rest of the companies email boxes so we can finally get off of that server.

Default what I had to do to our LDAP setup

I had opened a support ticket when first trying the migration wizard... I too had some LDAP issues, in terms of what needed to be exposed. We're using the NLDAP on NetWare 5.1.... the LDAP portion of GroupWise is too limited in what needs to be see by the migration util. I'll try to detail it here, maybe it will help. LDAPBrowser is your friend for seeing what fields are exposed for each user (when you are authenticated as someone admin-equiv): From my notes at the time:

"To summarize, the "dn", "nGWGroupWiseID", "nGWPostOffice" and the "uniqueid" LDAP fields all seem to be required (I figured out the "uniqueid" one by myself with some help from the forums. These should likely be added in a TID or the documentation. The LDAP that is supported by the GroupWise GWIA is not sufficient to expose these attributes, and you must use the NLDAP that comes with the OS (NetWare in my case).

>>> Zimbra Tech <someone@zimbra.com> 8/1/2007 6:08 AM >>>
    Greg,

Here's what the developers say:

The tool expects that the user will have "mail", "dn", and "nGWPostOffice" LDAP attributes when it gets selected from the user's list before adding the user to main list and tries to fetch the same. If any one of them could not be fetched, that entry will not be added as all these attributes along with "nGWGroupWiseID" are required for selecting the user for migration. I guess the LDAP server there doesn’t expose "nGWPostOffice"(its not visible in the snapshot) and hence the tool is failing to add the user into the migration list."

Using ConsoleOne:
    - in the Other tab, make sure there is a "uniqueID" field, that equals the username... add it if it is not exposed.
    - make sure there is the correct entry for "email address" (mail LDAP attribute) in General/ID tab
    - in General/ID tab, Description field I have as "gnyce.MIS.ORGANIZATION" - I do this b/c when I expose LDAP attributes, I use this field... you may not have to (my changes involved two different projects, so I might be mixing them here).
    - in my LDAP Group edir object, Attribute Map, I (think I) added a few mappings:
    nGWGroupWiseID --------> NGW: GroupWise ID
    NGWPostOffice ----------> NGW: Post Office
    dn -----------------------> Description
    uid -----------------------> uniqueid

At least make sure these all exist. Last, you need to expose some of them, esp. if using the LDAPBrowser java util, you cannot see what Zimbra needs on an account. For me, I added the uniqueID, dnQualifier, dn, OU, L, Description, and CN Readable for the LDAP server/user. Let me know if you're not sure how to go about that.

Should warn you - the migration utility does not seem to be the speediest thing in the world...

Post back your results

Default One more thing to check

After you (using the utility) autenticate adn select some users, use ConsoleOne (or whatever) and check to see if there is a Trusted App for GroupWise established by the migration utility... for me, that is Highlighting our GW Domain object, Tools, GroupWise System Operations, Trusted Applications. Right now, I just have one for our BES (blackberry) server, but when the migraition util is run, another should be present for it (it creates it).

I have already verified that the migration utility is registering itself as a trusted application (one of the first things I checked). I however do not know what LDAP server is being used as I am just having it connect on the default port on the internal IP of the GW server. I will look into LDAP and see if all of those fields are getting exposed via the LDAP interface. Thanks for the help so far.

Ok it appears that the dn attribute is not being exposed over the LDAP connection I am making. I have attempted to expose this by editing the NDSName=Description LDAPNames=description$multiLineDescription to read LDAPNames=dn in Other->ldapAttributeList for the LDAP Group object and then restarting the LDAP server using "unload NLDAP" and "load NLDAP". Unfortuantely the computer I was using at the location where the servers are appears to be locked up. I will retry the migration in an hour or two with the dn attribute being exposed to see whether or not this will make a difference.

Also I think that the uid was only required in the 4.5.x migration wizards. I believe that the 5.0 BETA3 uses the nGWObjectID attribute as I have a user that wouldn't show up in the list for the 4.5.6 wizard but showed up and worked as far as the other users did in the 5.0 BETA 3 wizard. (I added a uid anyway just in case).