Thread: Mail from AD/Exchange to Zimbra

Default Mail from AD/Exchange to Zimbra

I have Zimbra up and running on RHEL4.
    I've migrated 2 users to test.
    I've configured a Split-Domain system.
    I've configured Zimbra GAL to point to my AD and tested succesfully.

I can send mail to my AD/Exchange Users.
    However, when I reply I get NDR {see below}.

I have an mx record configured in DNS which points to the Zimbra system.

What am I missing? I need to finalize this today....

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

MAJ.

NDR results:
    Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test email
    Sent: 12/7/2007 10:23 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

ZZZ ZZZ on 12/7/2007 10:23 AM
    The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
    <mail2.mydomain.com #5.1.1>

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Have you followed the Split Domain instructions in the wiki. Don't you currently have a support case open for this?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thumbs down Re: Mail from AD/Exchange to Zimbra

Phoenix:

Yes, thank you for noticing. I have updated my support case which details my following the Split-Domain notes. If I was unaware of the Split-Domain note wouldn't it have been prudent to put a link to it?

With that said. Your being a Zimbra employee, knowing I have a support case open and seeing my additional request for assistance does NOT give me warm and fuzzy feeling of the levels of support I can expect from Zimbra.

If you see I am asking and know I have a case open then why wouldn't you offer some specific information?

From a marketing and support perspective I would think it important to follow up on trial users reqeuests while implementing your software. Empty answers are not conducive to closed support cases.

Regarding the Split-Domain note that I am following{http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Split_Domain}. It does not offer any information about the primary side configuration. What it does say is:

The primary MTA must
    be aware of, and accept mail for, all accounts on the domain
    reject on RCPT TO: those accounts that do not exist in either system
    forward mail to the secondary MTA for users hosted there
    However, last night I received an email from support which states:

You do not need to change the default recipient policy. You do not need to make any changes to your existing environment - either AD or Exchange.

All you need to do is that when you configure external authentication or external GAL on Zimbra, point it to your AD server.

This will ensure that Zimbra will lookup your AD for authentication only or for GAL only. This can be done from the Zimbra Admin Console by editing the domain.

You seem to be all set except for pointing your Zimbra server to your AD.

I am hoping you have already made changes to your DNS, if not please create an MX record pointing to Zimbra Server.

I am afraid, for your support level, which is Basic 60-day trial, there is no phone support available. To buy phone support or more information on Support Plans, please contact your account owner Dave Pellegrini.

So, which one is it. I do or I do NOT have to make changes.
    The Split-domain implies I do - Support implies I do not...

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Dear me, is this going to be one of those types of conversations?

First point, as far as I can see the reply from tech support that you have posted here is not in response to any request from you about how to set-up a Split Domain but appears to be about using AD as the GAL and for Authentication. Now, if that's not right I'm sure you'll correct me.

Second point, the updated case I saw from you mentioned that you'd already tried to follow the Split Domain wiki article so there was no point in posting it here. As this case is assigned to a tech support person I didn't read any further, that's why I didn't see any request from you asking for help.

Third point, answer forums posts is done on a voluntary basis by community members and employees.

Fourth point, I believe your support level is defined in this page: http://www.zimbra.com/support/support_overview.html

Now, as I am at home and doing this in my own time could you please explain to me which of the Split Domain set-up you have followed?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Unhappy Re: Mail from AD/Exchange to Zimbra

Dear Me? One of those? Is this the type of responses I should expect from support personnel? I'm here to get a job done. Nothing more.

My open case is referring to Support Case 00017824. My forum question clearly asks a different question. In either case to answer your final questions - Scenario B - Zimbra is the secondary server.

The bottom line: I am a perspective customer looking for help. Nothing more.

In retort:
    1st: The reply from support was in response to an email I sent while the case was open. He replied.

2nd: In my post on the forum I didn't mention Split-Domain and nor did you in your original reply. As for your not seeing my asking for help - Refer to the forum post: "I can NOT send from my AD/Exchange environment to my Zimbra host but I can send from Zimbra environment to my AD/Exchange.
    What am I doing wrong or what did I miss?"

3rd: Voluntary or not - You are an employee and logged in as such - You should show some professionalism and not come across in the manner you did.

4th: I didn't ask anyone about my support level. It is not relevent in the forum. I am looking for a concise answer on what I need to do in order for my Exchange environment to relay mails to the Zimbra environment. The MX record does not seem to be doing the trick. It does not appear that AD is looking any further than itself when it can not find the email address in AD. Was I wrong to remove the email address from AD?

Let's not waste time on bickering - just answers.

MAJ.

Hi Matthew,
    I see that Irfan was responsible for your case, and wanted to be sure your questions were answered.

John

Default My Support issue...

Sorry for the delay - I was out last week due to family emergency.

The issue still remains - In a split domain configuration - What must I do to enable zimbra based recipients recieve email from the exchange servers?

MAJ