Thread: Migrate from Google Apps to Zimbra?

Hybrid View

Default Migrate from Google Apps to Zimbra?

Guys,

I'm a long time Zimbra user who switched to Google Apps for Your Domain about a month ago. The reason? Well, embarrassingly enough, I was tired of not trusting my backups.

Problems with Google's service, however, are leading me back to Zimbra. In particular, the fact that domain aliasing really doesn't mask who you are because Google sets the Sender: field in the header...it's just plain frustrating.

So, here I stand, the prodigal son. Hoping Zimbra will take me back .

My situation is:

I have my old Zimbra 4.5 install with my old mailbox there. It's still running. I also have my new Google Apps account with all those messages, plus around a month's worth of new messages.

What I'd like to do is get at that month's worth of messages. I'm not sure if I can use imapsync to only move messages from a particular date range, but now that I type that I bet I can.

What I'm more concerned about is folders. I have a roughly 5 gb mailbox with many folders for different mailing lists I belong to. Google Apps (the premier edition) has a migration tool that I used, and instead of creating folders, it created labels.

When I go back to Zimbra, will the messages be placed in the proper folders? Anyone know? Has anyone done this sort of migration before?

Finally, I see that 5.0 GA is due to be available Dec 12. Is it actually ready now (i.e., safe to use), and is GA the actual release?

Thanks guys!

jbwiv

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The Release 5 GA is not available yet, it will be shortly. The Release 5 RC2 is available and very stable and there's a facility in there to pull mail from external accounts. You could use the facility to pull from gmail by setting the mail you want to unread and let Zimbra fetch it into your current mailbox - that might be the easiest.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.