Thread: Unable to create same name folders with different case

Default Unable to create same name folders with different case

It appears that Zimbra doesn't honor case sensitivity when dealing with folders? For example, if I have a folder named "UWM" in all caps and try to create a folder named "uwm" in lower case, Zimbra treats them as the same and throws an error about "folder already exists":

Code:
    [zimbra@zimbra-adm ~]$ zmmailbox -z -m dcody@uwm.edu gaf | grep UWM
         11497  mess           0           3  /UWM
         11501  mess           0           1  /UWM/old
    [zimbra@zimbra-adm ~]$ zmmailbox -z -m dcody@uwm.edu cf /uwm
    ERROR: mail.ALREADY_EXISTS (object with that name already exists: uwm)
    This is causing us massive problems as we are trying to import users across who may have folders that conflict with Zimbra's folders (Trash vs. trash, Sent vs. sent, etc) as well as users like me above who rightfully see a folder named UWM as different than one named uwm or UwM

Thanks.

Yes, Zimbra matches folder names case-insensitively. Tag names are also treated case-insensitively.

If you'd like to see this behavior changed, please file an enhancement request in bugzilla.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Well unfortunately, we're a bit past the "this would be great to have someday maybe" point as we're at the beginning of a 50k+ user migration. I guess we'll contact our account rep to see what if anything can be done. I think we're just surprised that Zimbra goes against what is considered expected behavior with this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkarp View Post
    Yes, Zimbra matches folder names case-insensitively. Tag names are also treated case-insensitively.

If you'd like to see this behavior changed, please file an enhancement request in bugzilla.

Smile I vote for case insensitivity

Since it keeps things simple (KISS principle)

What's your source system(s)? What migration tools are you using? It shouldn't be a terribly difficult matter to catch the error and do some renaming.

I enumerated and renamed conflicting folder names on our Cyrus server immediately prior to each user's migration. Out of 2600 users we had a few dozen conflicts. Would have had more, if I hadn't dealt with the drafts/Drafts issue in Horde a couple years ago. The GroupWise and (presumably) other Zimbra-provided migration wizards will rename conflicting folder names upon import. Note there's only a conflict if the user has both drafts and Drafts; if they only have drafts, it maps cleanly to Drafts.

For a Cyrus backend, repeating the user experience of https://www4.uwm.edu/uits/docs/cyrus...yrus_pilot.cfm could be as simple as for i in `ctl_mboxlist -d | awk-the-right-column|tr 'A-Z' 'a-z' | sort | uniq -d`; do echo rename $i ${i}_; done | cyradm, but you're probably going to want to do something smarter.
    Last edited by Rich Graves; 03-04-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Make sure you also evade reserved words: briefcase, contacts, chats, calendar. If you'll have any Outlook or McAfee Antivirus clients, also rename folders named (case-insnsitively) notes, journal, and quarantine.

I wish that Zimbra had made email a separate namespace from calendaring -- this would also have made things like Bug 24804 - Share entire mailbox in one click. a lot easier -- but alas, there is a single root, and that is not reasonably going to change.