Thread: [SOLVED] Mail.app POP3 migration to ZCS

Default [SOLVED] Mail.app POP3 migration to ZCS

I'm running a test migration right now which is making me cringe. My 40 users are currently using Mail.app on 10.4.x w/ POP3 to access their corporate email (sendmail, dovecot). I'm testing a migration using a mailbox from a user who never sorts anything. Inbox is 7000 messages and sent mail is about 7000 as well.

I added the new zimbra server (open source 5.0.2 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS) as a 2nd account using IMAP. First I rebuilt the sent mail folder. Once complete, I quit then re-opened Mail.app. I then tried to copy (not move) all 7k messages to the Sent folder on the Zimbra server. It failed about 10mins into it saying '6000 messages could not be copied'. I then tried to do it batches of 100-500. That seemed to work up to a point, but then no matter how many I did, it would complain about some of them. The problem is, I don't know which ones so by re-copying, I was duplicating emails.

I've been wanting to move away from POP3 for years, just never had the opportunity really. I'm thrilled w/ Zimbra and looking forward to using it, but the migration process scares me.

Has anyone else out there had success migrating POP3 users running Mail.app with 1000's of messages stored on their local computer?

Looks like Mail.app stores the Inbox and Sent in mbox format, so next step is to try to use the migration script too (name evades me). Thanks in advance for any insight. To my users, the success of the new mail server (Zimbra) really hinges on a successful migration.

If you end up having no choice but to deal with duplicate, the "Mail Scripts" available on this page may be of use to you, I've used the dedup one to clean up some glitches that have occurred between Zimbra and Mail.app:

Andreas Amann's Freeware

When migrating to Zimbra (4.5.X, OS X 10.4), I was able to move one folder containing 10K+ messages from a local mailbox in Mail.app (also on 10.4) to Zimbra (IMAP) without any problems.

-rh

Default POP3 to Zimbra

I'm been using the mbox2imap script (python version) to migrate users from Mac OS X Mail.app (Tiger) to Zimbra IMAP. It works great except it completely ignores all attachments which is not going to work in our environment.

If I manually drag folders/messages over within Mail.app (Tiger or Leopard), it will simply crash after a small amount of messages.

How can I migrate my POP (mbox) users from locally stored mail in Mac OS Mail.app to Zimbra imap while preserving attachments? Or can I?

Question POP3 to Zimbra via Mail.app, message attachment size

I've resorted to migrating my user's mail the old school way for now but am running into more issues. I am using Mail.app on a Mac 10.5.2 machine. The user's emails are stored locally on their computer. I can maually move/copy many of the emails to their IMAP account on the Zimbra server, however, emails w/ attachments which Mail.app shows as larger than around 5MB do not copy.

I figured I just needed to increase the max message size on Zimbra, which I did, however my copying of emails w/ large attachments still fails. Is there a different setting on Zimbra to allow emails w/ larger attachments to be moved/copied over but not relayed through the MTA? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your help! (Death to M$)

Jason

There is another setting that controls the maximum size of an attachment (upload) called zimbraFileUploadMaxSize. They took it out of the admin console, but the setting is still there and active. Bug 23996 is open to fix this issue. For now you can change the setting using zmprov.

Nice, thank you. Do I need to start zimbra for the changes to take effect though? I ran
    Code:
    zmprov mcf zimbraFileUploadMaxSize 20480000

A restart is required and this worked. Thanks!!