Thread: Split domains; (new)Zimbra and (old)mailserver

Hybrid View

Default Split domains; (new)Zimbra and (old)mailserver

We have an old mailserver(mail1) application currently that we plan on replacing with Zimbra in the near future. mail1 has 150 email accounts tied to it, half of those are actual employees the rest are automated accounts.

Is there a way to deploy the new Zimbra server and have it pass addresses it doesn't hold to mail1?

I ask since we are purchasing Zimbra for actual users, which will be 75 licenses. We want to keep the featureless stuff relegated to the old mail1.

So, can we do it?
    thanks

Interesting.

So if I were to setup Zimbra as the primary I'd need licenses for the automated half of accounts being handled by secondary "mail1", correct? Or is that outside of licensing...

thanks

We're running a split domain at our site, but the Zimbra servers are the secondary. All mail to unknown users in our domain is kicked up to the 'primary' server by Zimbra. The primary server is our legacy system. Right now, as we're still in the early stages of migration, most users are still on the legacy system. But even once we're done, we're going to leave our maillist processing on the primary - we have a rich maillist system developed in-house with over 10,000 lists. Essentially, as you migrate users from legacy to Zimbra, your legacy server turns from a mail store into just a mail router. In your case, you can leave your "automated" accounts on the legacy system and Zimbra needn't have any knowledge of them (assuming, of course, that they don't have mailboxes that users need to access)
    Steve Hillman
    IT Architect
    Simon Fraser University