Thread: Diary of a Newbie 4: Test mail traffic generator?

Default Diary of a Newbie 4: Test mail traffic generator?

So I have my 5.0.9NE running.

I'm still trying to suss all the lines in the ps axf output, but I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

So the next step is to tell Zimbra that it's in a split domain, and that any mailboxes it doesn't have locally should forward through to my Exchange server.

But, once I do that, I have to send some mail into it to see what it's going to do -- and I don't want to test it by just jacking up my working domain and feeding it there, in case something doesn't work the way I want.

So it seems to me that I should be looking for a program that I can point at a SMTP server and it will send it lots of random mail, some aimed at valid names, some spammy looking, and log for me everything it sends, so I can track every message and see where it went.

And then it occurs to me that I had better not be the first person who needed that. :-)

Anyone already found one?
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Why not split your inbound stream and test live data SnertSoft - roundhouse/0.5 (beta) for Sendmail

...because then I'll get duplicate messages in all my 'old' mailboxes?

(though Roundhouse does look pretty cool...)
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    So I have my 5.0.9NE running.

I'm still trying to suss all the lines in the ps axf output, but I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

So the next step is to tell Zimbra that it's in a split domain, and that any mailboxes it doesn't have locally should forward through to my Exchange server.

But, once I do that, I have to send some mail into it to see what it's going to do -- and I don't want to test it by just jacking up my working domain and feeding it there, in case something doesn't work the way I want.

So it seems to me that I should be looking for a program that I can point at a SMTP server and it will send it lots of random mail, some aimed at valid names, some spammy looking, and log for me everything it sends, so I can track every message and see where it went.

And then it occurs to me that I had better not be the first person who needed that. :-)

Anyone already found one?
    there is a free tool that microsoft will let you download. search for "ESP" and "medusa" and you should be able to find it. basically, you can write scripts that use some template mime files and you can configure it to do whatever you like. it is a windows tool though so i don't know if that is what you are looking for.

Well, that's closer. I'll still have to send several batches, and I guess steal some spam from my own mailbox to test with. :-)

I guess I may have to just write one myself. Time to (re-)learn perl.