Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Successful Migration from Courier-MTA

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Successful Migration from Courier-MTA

    Hi.

    I have been running a small ISP service (1000 users, 200 domains, 500 aliases) with Courier on Debian x86 with MySQL authentication for many years and although this was quite stable for me I decided that the old Dual server was about ready for the scrapheap.

    I had already installed a test zimbra server and I liked it so I decided to get a new Quad Core server with lots of RAM and disk. We have standardized on Debian and I decided to install Debian AMD64. As there was no binary package, I also thought it would be good experience to compile from source (what an experience that was!). You might tell by now that I don't like making things easy for myself!

    Once I had zimbra up and running I turned my attention to migrating users. This was all stored in a MySQL but over the years was migrated from various sources and ages of machines. The oldest was a circa 1993 /etc/passwd file from SCO Unix! (and yes I also installed that one).

    This meant that the passwd table was a mixture of DES/SHA and clear text passwords. All of the scripts are ones I found and modified, I have kept any copyright etc intact if applicable. First is a simple script to export the users to a zmprov format file (called mysql2zmprov.pl). I tried various ways to import encrypted passwords but prefixing these with {crypt} didn't work for me. I ended up using a direct ldap password change but more about this later!

    I also grabbed the aliases2zmprov.pl file and modified it for the courier aliases format. This wasn't 100 percent but it managed to get a fairly usable import. this created all domains, aliases and distribution lists (some of the disribution list membership was screwed-up but a quick skim of the file fixed that).

    I then decided that the easiest way to get the users with encrypted passwords over was to change their password temporarilly to a known value and then run imapsync on them. I modified to mysql2zmprov.pl script to create setPassword commands for users with encrypted passwords.

    Once I had run imapsync after much head-scratching, I managed to create an ldif file (see script import.php) which takes a csv file of the format username,crypt-password and then import it into zimbra with the following command:

    /opt/zimbra/openldap/bin/ldapmodify -x -H ldap://servername:389 -D "uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra" -W < exported.ldif

    Once I had restarted zimbra then all users could login fine (I am still not sure why zmprov setPassword user@domain.com "{crypt}encrypted-password" didn't work for me?????

    As I said by using an unsupported platform (Debian AMD64) I probably made this quite a lot more difficult for myself but I certainly learnt a lot about zimbra in the process!!!!

    Cheers

    phil
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Glad you made the switch - someone created a Installing Zimbra 5.0 on Debian 4.0 Etch AMD64 - Zimbra :: Wiki (tricking 32-bit packages) but if you'd like to document the process from source in Building FRANKLIN on Debian - Zimbra :: Wiki (empty at the moment) I'm sure others will appreciate it!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Hi thanks for the welcome....

    Yes I saw the wiki about AMD64 installation but I didn't want to use a 32 bit zimbra on a 64 bit O/S. I will try to remember what I did to get it working.....

    Unfortunately I appear to have broken access to the wiki from my main PC??? It is fine from any other machine but I guess I must have a dodgy cookie or something as whenever I try to access it from this PC I get "HTTP 500 Internal Server Error". I assumed that it was down until I was able to access if from another machine....

    Cheers

    Phil

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I have added the wiki page as suggested, hopefully it was fresh enough in my mind!

    Please take a look and let me know what you think.

    Thanks

    Phil

Similar Threads

  1. Daily mail report always reports "No messages found"
    By McPringle in forum Installation
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 09:57 AM
  2. GroupWise migration experience
    By nrc in forum Migration
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 01:41 AM
  3. zimbra daily reports problem - mta table is empty
    By sine in forum Administrators
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 12:32 AM
  4. Error in my /tmp/gengraphs.out file
    By Xao in forum Installation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 09:32 PM
  5. Server Stats Cont...
    By DMRDave in forum Administrators
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •