Thread: maildir to Zimbra

Default maildir to Zimbra

I know this subject comes up, and every time the response is use imapsync. Well, I don't see that as a workable response.

We are moving to a hosted Zimbra solution. We have 3.4TB of maildirs (~35000 users) to migrate. And, it needs to be done in over the Xmas weekend.

We built them special IMAP servers (using a pair of Sun X4150s), and set all the passwords to the same....separate from our normal IMAP serverfleet (4 X4100s [webmail & pine/pop3 users] and 4 v20z's [imap client users]).

Right now they are trying to migrate pre-pilot group of a dozen email accounts, and I heard they are estimating it'll take 30 days to do it. The special IMAP servers are bored....and our Internet connection is not being saturated.

We need a faster way to migrate.

I hear what you are saying, but I looked around and couldn't find anything better then Imapsync to move from maildir, I'm still looking though, but I have done several test migrations with imapsync.

Latency may be a issue so why not ship the data to the remote site and get a local IMAP server setup ... Surely that should be quicker ?

so why not ship the data to the remote site and get a local IMAP server setup
    Well, I'm asking that we ship the maildirs to them and have them convert directly to zimbra....but if they can handle maildirs to have their own local IMAP server, I guess that's fine to. Don't really care on the details of how they take our maildirs and put them into Zimbra.

However, it looks like there's a routing issue....zimbra's DC is in Virginia? and is fast getting to us. But, they are part of Yahoo's network...so routing puts the return packets taking a much longer route around the country???

Our networking did an iperf to a server one hop before Zimbra and could do 160MBps....but Zimbra is only seeing transfers at about 3Mbps.

Even with that kind of boost in speed....I'm still doubtful that they are going to be able to imapsync ~3.4TB over a weekend.

Turns out they are only migrating the pre-pre-pilot group right now. But, instead of a pilot system separate from the production system, all the 'pilot' groups will be going to the same system as production.

Not sure what the logistics of shipping the maildirs over would be...would that be like 35 LTO-1's? And, then hopefully they'll have the hardware to restore the files and host a local imap server?

Wonder where in Virginia they are....I have a cousin I haven't seen in a while....

Have you considered trying to sync all this data (rsync?) to your site and run the imapsync over a fast LAN?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster View Post
    Have you considered trying to sync all this data (rsync?) to your site and run the imapsync over a fast LAN?
    All the data is at our site...and the LAN in our datacenter is fast. But, we are in Kansas and Zimbra's datacenter is in Virgina(?)

And, Zimbra can't handle maildir format, so we can't rsync it to them. Otherwise that's what we want to do.

Of course, as I'm learning there's a lot that Zimbra Hosted won't do. It is looking like we'll still be running everything except MDA,IMAP/POP,Webmail. The whole point of paying Zimbra to do our email though, was that we would stop completely. At least I'm not actually on the Zimbra migration committee....I hear our people are getting frustrated with having to explain how email works to Zimbra.

The Dreamer