Thread: Migration from Exchange to Zimbra - Exchange GAL

Default Migration from Exchange to Zimbra - Exchange GAL

We are starting the migration process, using the Zimbra Migration Wizard, moving mailboxes from Exchange 2000 to ZCS 5.0.11_GA. I've run into an issue with interoperability between the two systems from an addressing standpoint.

Once a user's mailbox is migrated to Zimbra and we've deleted their mailbox within Exchange, they no longer show up in the Exchange GAL, so our users who are still on Exchange cannot find them in the Address Book (GAL) to send them mail. What's the best solution to this? Do we have to create Exchange "Contacts" for all users who have moved onto ZCS, or is there a better way?

Thanks,
    Clay

IMHO fastest way would be to create Exchange contacts. We have had to do a similar thing for our Notes migration.

If I create a contact then all mail to that person bounces back with a 5.4.6 error. We currently have a split-domain setup where our ZCS server is the secondary and Exchange is primary. Some users are split across the two platforms and share the same email domains.

Any tips on how to address this situation? Right now, users who have been moved to Zimbra cannot be seen in the Exchange GAL by users who are still on the Exchange platform.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by hspcd View Post
    Once a user's mailbox is migrated to Zimbra and we've deleted their mailbox within Exchange...
    I don't know how much is different on Exchange 2000, but on my Exchange 5.5 migration, I never deleted them from Exchange.

I just created Custom Recipients in Exchange for the people as I migrated them in small groups; and then I told Exchange to deliver their mail to the custom recipient.

In my case the custom recipient was just a SMTP address like "user@zimbra.mydomain.com". The zimbra.mydomain.com was a domain alias on my Zimbra (Secondary) server.

The Exchange server had to be configured to send all mail destined for the 'zimbra.mydomain.com' domain to the Zimbra server. (It also had to allow the Zimbra server to relay mail, in order to send anything outside, since the Exchange was the "Primary" system in the split domain set up).

I don't know if something like that would work for you, but it has worked great for a slow migration here.

SPF,
    I can see how that would work well. We did not go with a sub-domain though so our users, split across Exchange and Zimbra, are all on company.com. I'm almost at a loss here on how to keep Zimbra users in the Exchange GAL since adding them as a Contact seems to break mail routing and I get those 5.4.6 errors (bounces).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Clay

Same problem here.

Am new to zimbra and I've been ask to migrate some users from exchange 2003 to zimbra.
    Exchange 2003 GALs can be easily seen by zimbra users, but not the other way around.
    The only workaround that I know is to manually "Establish an email address" for each users that you migrate to zimbra, then enable zimbra to do an external GAL lookup.
    It would be a lot of work as in my case, I would migrate at least 500 users to zimbra.

Hello Zimbra,

Can you please answer this question. This post is over a month old. No one from your company can verify this?