Thread: proxy / possible?

Default proxy / possible?

hello,

My present setup is a single imap proxy with 6 mailbox servers using perdition. At this time we are evaluating zimbra network edition. We are thinking to switch our imap proxy with zimbra-proxy/nginX. So the question is do i need to make changes in my mailbox servers ?

Also is there any option to use perdition instead of nginx ? I am thinking that if ZCS allows perdition, then I don't have to make any changes at the mailbox servers. Am I right?

Thanks
    Paras.

Perdition was the proxy app at the begining of ZCS. However, it was not able to proxy http(s)...

So it was replaced by "zimbra-proxy", that is actually nginx.

In order to try to answer you in the most right way, could you please tell us your current ZCS version and if the proxy/perdition you're currently running is the ZCS' one or if it's a proxy you've set up on your own.

My ZCS is version zcs-NETWORK-5.0.11. My mailbox servers are running perdition and they are non zimbra. I need zimbra-proxy to point to these mailbox servers for imap and pop.

Thanks
    Paras.

I think i should provide some more details about my current system

imap/pop client -----> perdition imap/pop proxy --> mailboxservers

users are authenticated using LDAP in which the correct mailbox server is assigned. Perdition is configured with LDAP as map_library in perdition.conf. My life will be easier if the function of my perdition imap/pop proxy can be replaced by zcs running either nginx or if possible perdition.

Thanks
    Paras.

If I understand correctly, zimbra-proxy (nginx) is exactly what you are looking for.

You just have to setup one (or several, with LB features if you want or just round-robin) zimbra-proxy server.
    Then configure the mailbox servers to tell them there's a zimbra-proxy (a couple zmprov commands).

When a user will connect the zimbra-proxy server, ngnix will automagically proxify the request to the correct mailbox server (and do a bit of caching, that can be very interesting in IMAP mode).

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to know if I can configure my mailboxservers manually without installing ZCS on them. Is that doable? This is the key thing for me at this stage. For imap/pop proxy server i will be using zimbra-proxy/nginx

Thanks
    Paras.