Thread: Postfix Admin and Imapsync

Default Postfix Admin and Imapsync

All,
    I'm hoping to gain a little elucidation on a problem I've been having recently trying to migrate from a home-grown postfixadmin managed mail server to zimbra.

I've managed to migrate all the users to the new machine but actually getting the content over to the accounts has been an issue. There is sufficient documentation on the "UserMigration" link on the wiki but what I'm looking for is a more streamlined method of using imapsync to move all these accounts.

Bear in mind that I do NOT have any passwords and I've been assured that imapsync can do this but I've yet to stumble onto the magic combination.

Can anyone speak to this problem with a possible solution? I'd rather not do the additional ldap server bit listed in the documentation in a situation like this but if I have to fall back on it, I suppose I will.

Thanks!

Regards,

Jason Manous

I'm not entirely what you're asking for, but is it that you want to authenticate to the IMAP server as an admin and transfer a different account than you authenticated as? If so, the option in imapsync is --authuser1 (and --authuser2, if you want to do the same on the server you're migrating to).

Just because I'm a little new to the imapsync syntax, would you be so kind as to give me an example of how that argument is used?

*Edit* - I should also note that I don't know the user passwords on either the source NOR the destination. Some of the examples I've seen with --authuser1 indicate that the destination password is known.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by y@w View Post
    I'm not entirely what you're asking for, but is it that you want to authenticate to the IMAP server as an admin and transfer a different account than you authenticated as? If so, the option in imapsync is --authuser1 (and --authuser2, if you want to do the same on the server you're migrating to).
    Last edited by jcmanous; 02-27-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Sure, I just wasn't sure if that's what you were looking for. It looks something like this:

user to be migrated: user@domain.com
    admin user: admin@domain.com

Code:
    imapsync --syncinternaldates --server1 server1.domain.com --user1 user@domain.com --authuser1 admin@domain.com --password1 mysecret --server2 server2.domain.com --user2 user@domain.com --authuser2 admin@domain.com --password2 myothersecret
    Note: "mysecret" and "myothersecret" are the admin passwords, not the users' passwords

(Make sure you use the --syncinternaldates option with imapsync.. otherwise the emails will show up in the listing in the Zimbra web interface as being "received" on the date you migrated -- thought I'd throw that in as a bonus )

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. As it turns out, this works but not quite as intended.

Using the syntax listed, I'm able to authenticate on behalf of the user in question but it's MY email that gets moved from the source to the destination account and not the user's mail.

Any suggestions?

So the email that gets migrated is the user that you authenticated as?

It should work.. I've done it for hundreds of accounts..

That is correct. If the user to be migrated is "a.user" and the admin account used to authenticate is "an.admin" then the mail for "an.admin" gets put in as "a.user"

*Edit* - It just occurred to me that the user I'm trying to authenticate with may not be "admin". As a relative neophyte to postfix admin, as I inherited this server, what is usually the "admin" account or is there even a default.

Quote Originally Posted by y@w View Post
    So the email that gets migrated is the user that you authenticated as?

It should work.. I've done it for hundreds of accounts..
    Last edited by jcmanous; 03-04-2009 at 11:54 AM.