Thread: Split Domain with Catchall Relay - Possible?

Default Split Domain with Catchall Relay - Possible?

Hi,

The below is my current scenario. Is it possible with Zimbra to implement instead of my existing application?

1. I have mail.mydomain.com domain on a shared hosting server. There is user1@mydomain.com and catchall@mydomain.com accounts.

2. I installed Zimbra on local network with Ubuntu server 8.04 (FQDN) zimbra.mydomain.com. In this server i created user2@mydomain.com and user3@mydomain.com.

3. I will send mails from zimbra.mydomain.com server to mail.mydomain.com server with the smtp authentication of catchall@mydomain.com account for the accounts user2@mydomain.com and user3@mydomain.com. I can able to send mails from user2@mydomain.com to user@gmail.com and user@yahoo.com

4. The mail.mydomain.com server receives all the mails for the domain mydomain.com and deliver mails for the corresponding account created on that server(for user user1@mydomain.com) and all other mails in catchall@mydomain.com (for user2@mydomain.com and user3@mydomain.com)

What i need to know is, how can i receive mails from the catchall@mydomain.com account to zimbra.mydomain.com server and deliver the corresponding mails for accounts user2@mydomain.com, user3@mydomain.com. How can i configure the zimbra server to do this.

Is it possible? Please give the details of configuration for this implementation.

Thanks
    Jram

Hi there,

Please update your profile with the output of zmcontrol -v so we can see what version of Zimbra you are running and on which platform.

Reading your post reminds me of when a British friend and I tried to explain to each other American Football and Cricket. He got to the point where he understood the rules of American Football but really didn't understand how the game was played until he watched a few games on the tele. (I couldn't even begin to understand the rules of cricket, but still enjoyed being utterly baffled by the gameplay.)

It's not clear to me, even though I've reread your post three times now, what you are actually trying to accomplish; how do you see your users interacting with Zimbra for example?

Separately, catchalls are in most cases a bad idea, and Zimbra will only accept emails for which there is a valid recipient email address on the system.

So, please post your configuration and help this dense moderator better understand what you are trying to do here.

All the best,
    Mark

Hi..i know exactly what you trying to do ..lots of our Call Centre customer in india doing this (not that its the best way to do it )
    * Idea is to get a economical shared hosting account and create CATCHALL and download all the mail on local network and then DISTRIBUTE all the email to separate target users and all the users can download the mail from Zimbra locally
    that said you can have 500 users locally getting email thru a 1 simple shared hosting account.
    * Also use the SHARED HOSTING SERVER SMTP to send email out as SMTP AUTH relay.
    in all this shared hosting company losses..lol (my personal opinion)

the solution to your problem depends how are you connected to the internet and if your Zimbra server is PUBLIC or LOCAL.
    you need to tell in detail if your Zimbra server can receive (SMTP inbound) from the internet
    or
    its a local server serving user2@mydomain.com, user3@mydomain.com internally in the company.

once you tell this possible configuration will vary between PULLING or PUSING mail from your SHARED HOSTING SERVER

if you give us more details..we will post the solution

Hey Mark: use to play Cricket as a kid in india..lol....now i watch American Football too ..good old days
    Raj
    Last edited by raj; 04-15-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Hi Mark,

Thanks, My Zimbra version Release 5.0.11_GA_2695.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

What raj explains is exactly the requirements of me.

This link best explains about my exising mail server functonality ShareMailPro - Overview

1. Server mail.mydomain.com is on Internet. There is two email accounts user1@mydomain.com and catchall@mydomain.com.

2. Server localmail.mydomain.com is in local network and connected with internet (2 NICs). This server contains two accounts user2@mydomain.com and user3@mydomain.com.

3. All mails from other domains goes to mail.mydomain.com and it accepts all the mails for domain @mydomain.com, even non existing users. It delivers the mails of user1@mydomain.com in same account and the mails of user2@mydomain.com and user3@mydomain.com in catchall@mydomain.com account

4. The localmail.mydomain.com server fetches all the mails in catchall@mydomain.com from mail.mydomain.com and distribute to the corresponding accouts on local, and also drops all the non existing account mails in admin@mydomain.com (admin account of local server)

5. The user2@mydomain.com and user3@mydomain.com sends mail to the local.mydomain.com server. This server will send all the mails to outside thru mail.mydomain.com using catchall@mydomain.com account.

I want to replace the local.mydomain.com with zimbra.mydomain.com.

Thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Raj,

No any shared hosting companies redy to run their business with loss. They provide this as a features & benefits for their customers and they charge based on the mail bandwidth.

The zimbra.mydomain.com server has to two NICs, one connected with LAN and one with Internet, I configured SMTP inbound with mail.mydoman.com on global configurations. This server contains two MX records for domains mydomain.com with local IP and for domail mail.mydomain.com with ISP IP of mail.mydomain.com.

It should send and receive mails from and to the outside domains for users on zimbra.mydomail.com. We should pull the mails of local account from shared hosting server, and we should send the mails thru mail.mydomain.com.

I require the solution to replace the locamail.mydomain.com server with zimbra.mydomain.com

Thanks Raj & Mark

Jram
    Last edited by jram; 04-16-2009 at 06:05 AM.

Hi Jram,

This is en exact need of mine too, except that I need this setting to work on for a secondary mail server.
    The situation goes like this.
    I have a domain hosted on a zimbrasever(primary mail server). I have set a secondary mail exchange (postfix) for this domain so that when my primary mail server goes down I need the mails to be delivered to the secondary and when the primary comes up I need all the mails collected in the secondary to be routed to primary.
    The 1st part have been dealt with Now I need to configure the 2nd part ie: all mails from the secondary to be routed to the primary.

If you have got your problem solved, any help would be most welcome.

Sreejith

Since you've got the first part taking care of, can you lead me to the first part. I did set my zimbra mail as the primary mail and all of a sudden, the mails keep looping around zimbra stating that the accounts are unknow accounts. God knows how many emails I have lost. Migrating from a freebsd to zimbra. My freebsd server which is currently the primary and only email server I have is email.how.com and my zimbra server is zimbra.email.how.com.

I have the email.how.com domain setup in my zimbra server already, but trying to migrate users one at a time to the domain email.how.com in the zimbra server while the other users can still receive their emails. I follow the wiki exactly, but was not sure if I have to make any changes on my freebsd server for it to work right. After seeing the mails looping in my zimbra server I had to revert everything to its normal position so users can receive their emails instead of bouncing all around.

Thanks

Have you correctly configured the:
    'relay_domains ="
    you may need to specify the domains that need to be relayde in there. If you have a list of domains copy them to a file and then add the file location in theere.
    Also then you need to tell postfix to act upon for the domains the way you want to, like if you need to relay mails for 'example.com' to be sent to 'mail.example.com'(MX), you may need to add the specific entry as follows:
    'example.com protocolused:mail.example.com'
    add these entries for the corresponding domains toa file and add them to the "transport_maps" arguement in the main.cf file. You can also add the entries to a file and hash it and include it in the main.cf.
    This will recognise all the accounts under the respective domains to the postfix and postfix will carry out the mails to these as specified.

Sreejith

If I clearly understand what you are saying, you suggest that I create a file say /usr/local/etc/postfix/domainlist. And in domain list, I will have my zimbra domain (zimbra.my.account.com), then look for the relay domains line and change the line like this:
    relay_domains= /usr/local/etc/postfix/domainlist
    After that, I should create another file, say /usr/local/etc/postfix/transportfile
    and add the following line:
    my.account.com smtp:zimbra.my.account.com
    into the file and then change the transport_maps line to:
    transport_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/transportfile
    and finally, I will have the
    relay_recipient_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/recipient_relay
    in the same main.cf.

The last but not least is postmap /usr/local/etc/postfix/transportfile and also
    postmap /usr/local/etc/postfix/recipient_relay.

The reason for the recipient relay is to have all recipient that are already being migrated to receive emails sent to them from the old server to the new server. Because as it stands now, any account on the old server that send email to accounts on my new server are being sent locally, because the account still resides on the old server even though the world knows that the account is on the new server.

Please confirm to me and give me any suggestions added to what I have just reiterate.

thanks