Thread: [SOLVED] Domain Forwarding from old NON ZIMBRA domain

Default [SOLVED] Domain Forwarding from old NON ZIMBRA domain

I know this question has been asked before, but i have tried everything and cant seem to get it working correctly.

We are running Zimbra 5.016 on our new server. We are also using a completely different domain name.

How do i set up an alias that forwards all mail from the old server to the new server and distributes it to the appropriate mail boxes.

The last thing i tried was:

zmprov cd olddomain.us zimbraDomainType alias zimbraDomainAliasTargetId e452d.......9483514 zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @olddomain.us zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @newdomain.com

Once again, they are on completely separate boxes, with completely separate domain names.

how do i know what part isnt working?
    Do i need to do something on the OLD server to forward to the new server?
    Other than running that cli command, do i need to set up a generic user account on the new server?

Please help....

From what you have said it would appear to be a issue with the sending server ... What MTA does it run ? Have you checked /var/log/zimbra.log to see why it is being rejected ? A little more information please

Agree with uxbod, but I think I understand what you're getting at. I'll give it a shot.

We recently did this with a domain that was being migrated to our Zimbra servers. We kept the same domain between both the old mail system and Zimbra. First we created the domain in the Zimbra Admin and executed the following:

Code:
    $ zmprov md <orginal domain> zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @<orginal domain>
    $ zmprov md <orginal domain> zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @<orginal domain>
    $ zmprov md <orginal domain> zimbraMailTransport smtp:<old MTA>
    On the old system, they had to setup forwards pointing to our MTA for each account as it was migrated. I pulled this from Split Domain Configuration.

A word of warning though, be careful with the 'zmprov mcf' commands listed lower on the page, as these modify global config. settings. These will redirect all outgoing mail to the old mail system. If this is the only domain on the Zimbra server, that's cool. If it's not, this will cause problems.

Hope this helps!

Dusty
    CoSentry - www.cosentry.com - Co-Location & Business Resiliency Solutions

Default SOLUTION: wait a few minutes

Apparently, I didnt give zimbra (new server) and the old server time to do their thing.

The commands that i entered worked flawlessly, but when i tested it immediately afterwards (sending to the old domain from various addresses internal and external as well as from the old domain and the new domain) it wasnt working (the new server wasnt getting the emails directed to the old server)

I threw my hands up, went to lunch, and while i was out i got a call asking why email wasnt coming through (on the old server) and realized it was autoMAGICly being sent to the Zimbra server. YAY... Success.

Bottom line:

The line of code that i entered worked.
    you have to find the domain ID# in the admin panel to use in the code
    you have to wait a few minutes for the planets to realign properly
    and finally...
    it works.

Also... once the new zimbra server is up and running with all corresponding users, you DO have to set the MX records that point to your old mail server to the location of new mail server. If you dont, only LOCAL email will be forwarded to the new server. Once the MX records are updated, externally sent email will also get forwarded from new to old.

Thank you so much for your help!