Thread: Loss of Timestamp When Copying POP3 to IMAP

Default Loss of Timestamp When Copying POP3 to IMAP

I apologize if something along the lines of my post have appeared before, but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for when searching. In any event....

We are looking to migrate our Apple users over to Zimbra in the next week or so, and the users are currently downloading all of their mail to their local machines using Entourage and POP. We do not want the users to use IMAP to access their new Zimbra accounts for performance reasons, so that only leaves us with the Zimbra Desktop or the web client as the methods of accessing their email. The only relatively painless workaround that I've found in this forum is to add a Zimbra IMAP account to Entourage, and then move the downloaded POP messages to the new mailbox. We would then remove the accounts from Entourage and set up the Zimbra account in the Zimbra Desktop app.

The problem is that when doing this, the old messages lose their timestamps, which is a vital piece of information. Is there any way to accomplish this while retaining the original timestamps? Thanks in advance.
    Robert Williams
    Systems Engineer
    Meredith College

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=21622&dateline=123606  4536

This sounds like it might be an Entourage issue. We only have a couple of Mac users, and we did the same thing that you are trying; setup an IMAP account to the Zimbra server and copied the messages from the local POP3 account over. Our users did not lose the timestamp on messages. However, the big difference is that my Mac users were using Mail.app, not Entourage. I'm not a Mac expert by any stretch. Will Mail.app allow you to import the POP3 messages from Entourage?

I think Mail.app does allow quick importing of messages from Entourage, so I will try that, and then copy the messages to the Zimbra IMAP account using Mail. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Edit: Indeed that does work for us. The messages were copied to the Zimbra IMAP account with their original timestamps, so that's one less thing our users will have to worry about. Makes you wonder though why Entourage is incapable of doing the same thing.
    Last edited by RWilliams; 05-21-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Update
    Robert Williams
    Systems Engineer
    Meredith College

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=21622&dateline=123606  4536