Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra Migration Strategy

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra Migration Strategy

Hello,

Edited from original post as problem has moved forward.

Our Situation:
    We have one Zimbra server currently running 5.0.4 on openSuse 10.2. We want to update to 5.0.14 then migrate this install to CentOS 5.3

Our Problem:
    I am currently testing the migration of 5.0.14 from openSuse 10.2 to CentOS 5.3. I have installed and configured the first server with Suse and installed Zimbra. It is functioning as expected.

Following a document by John Holder, I have followed these steps and can get the new server up and running (as verified by zmcontrol status). When I try to get to the webpage to log in, I receive an error as follows:

HTTP Error: 404
    NOT_FOUND
    RequestURl=/
    Powered by Jetty://

After changing the UID and the GID of the zimbra user and resetting the permissions on all files, the webpage login screen is displayed. I can log into the server and all is well except I am unable to send. Switching back to zimbra user, I ran zmcontrol stop (all went well) the zmcontrol start (all showed as 'done') then zmcontrol status. This showed me that the mta was not running.

Any Ideas??
    Thanks
    Sir Bob
    Last edited by Sir Bob; 06-19-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: First problem solved, but new one appears.

Did you ensure there was no mail server running on your fresh install of CentOS before trying to fire up Zimbra?

Hello and yes,

Sendmail is disabled, as well as iptables, ip6tables and SELinux.
    I ran #netstat -an : grep :25 and got tcp 127.0.0.1.
    Further to this, I ran #telnet 127.0.0.1 25 and connected to the mail server.

When I try to run /zmmtactl as zimbra user, I see the following:
    postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.4.7.5z/conf/main.cf
    postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.4.7.5z/conf/master.cf
    postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.4.7.5z/conf/main.cf.in
    postfix/postfix-script: Starting the Postfix mail system
    Starting saslauthd... already running.

I checked the permissons on the main/master files and they are the same as the original server.
    Last edited by Sir Bob; 06-19-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bob View Post
    Hello and yes,

Sendmail is disabled, as well as iptables, ip6tables and SELinux.
    I ran #netstat -an : grep :25 and got tcp 127.0.0.1.
    Further to this, I ran #telnet 127.0.0.1 25 and connected to the mail server.
    What does your /etc/hosts file look like?

/etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    10.2.46.154 mail1.geekdept.com mail1

nslookup mail1.geekdept.com resolves correctly to server

OK, I have finally solved my problem. This process is valid for moving Zimbra 5.0.14 from OpenSUSE 10.2 to CentOS 5.3. The complete process (at least for my case) is as follows:

- Install O/S of new server keeping same hostname, domain and network settings as the original server. Depending on how you installed the software, you might have to edit your /etc/hosts file to reflect the correct hostname.
    - as root, run the following commands
    # chkconfig sendmail off
    # chkconfig iptables off
    # chkconfig ip6tables off
    then install the following package
    #yum install libtool-ltdl

Now to install Zimbra
    - download the same version of Zimbra that was on the original server, untar into /tmp and cd to directory
    - as root ./install.sh -s --platform-override (platform override required as we are installing on CentOS)
    - as zimbra user; zmcontrol stop
    - as root; rm -rf /opt/zimbra
    - as root; rsync -avH /original/files /opt
    - as root; /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms
    - as root; re-install zimbra without the -s option. When promped to upgrade, select Yes.
    It was at this point I ran into problems. During the install, there was a port conflict detected (port 25) though there was nothing else using port 25. I continued on with the installation to the end.

**IMPORTANT**
    Once the installation was complete, I found I had to reboot my server at this time for the rest of the process to work. If I did not reboot at this time, the process failed.
    **IMPORTANT**

After the reboot,
    - as zimbra user; zmcontrol stop
    - as root; usermod -u XXX -U zimbra where XXX is the UID of the zimbra user from the original server.
    - as zimbra user; zmcontrol start

Following this process, in our case, gave us a working copy of our original server, moved onto a new O/S.

Thank you to those that also posted infomation on their migration issues.

Sir Bob