Thread: Migration from zimbra 4.5.7 OS to latest NE on new hardware and platform

Default Migration from zimbra 4.5.7 OS to latest NE on new hardware and platform

I've been tasked with upgrading an ancient 4.5.7 Open Source version to the latest Network edition on new hardware.

Reading the migration docs, it makes total sense to me to move zimbra 4.5.7 to the new server, then upgrade a step at a time from 4.5.7 to 5.x then to 6.x. I thought I'd do a dry-run with a known good backup before doing the live migration.

The old server is Centos/Redhat version 4.6 i386 and the new server is Centos/5.4 x86_64. I thought I'd best run the the 32bit version on the new server for the first clean install (before dumping the backup tarball over /opt/zimbra) and then do the upgrade to 5.x the 6.x with the x86_64 version instead to get the more efficient code. But the installer for the 4.5.7 is stopping me with:

Code:
    Found zimbra-core
    Error: attempting to install i386 packages on a x86_64 OS.
    Exiting...
    What is the best method to upgrade Platform, OS and Zimbra to the latest and greatest? Am I tackling these upgrades in the wrong order? Can I do the 4.5.7 x86_64 install on the new server, then dump the /opt/zimbra from a i386 install over it before moving to 5.x?

Thanks for any guidance.
    Last edited by mogmismo; 12-18-2009 at 01:28 PM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you wish to move to a 64bit installation then you should follow the details in this wiki article: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If you wish to move to a 64bit installation then you should follow the details in this wiki article: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki.
    That doc is a start, but should I find other hardware, move from 4.5.7 to 4.5.7 on 32bit, then upgrade to 6.x, then migrate to 64bit final hardware, or should I start by moving from 4.5.7 to 4.5.7 64 bit then the upgrade process?