Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrating 'TO' exchange

Hybrid View

Default Migrating 'TO' exchange

A company hired me recently. They've been using Zimbra. Now, upper management has dictated that the entire company be on exchange. I tried to talk them out of it since I'm an open source guy, but no luck. I guess I'm too new.

So, my question is what is the best way to migrate from Zimbra to MS Exchange 2007? Can it be done automatically? Is there a simple tool or script that I could use? Is it even possible?

I'm not sure why they want to switch, and I'm hoping that I can convince them in the future to use Zimbra.

Thanks for any help.

I'm pretty sure there isn't an automated method to go in the Z -> E direction. I would guess that your best bet is that if they are running network edition you could for each user, in outlook export their account to a PST, reconfigure outlook to use their new exchange profile and then import the PST created earlier.

Perhaps the time and cost of doing the migration to exchange will be an argument for keeping Zimbra?
    Jacob Turner
    Ringnebula Systems - Ukiah, CA

Hi all,

Maybe this article would help to understand possible migration scenarios - Moving from a Linux Mail Server and peer-to-peer network to Exchange Server 2007 (Part 1).

At the same time, it is very sad that employer doesn't understand obvious benefits from using FOSS mail system (like, Zimbra).

Anyway, if there is a middle-size organization then it is easy to compare costs of migration and licenses (windows servers, exchange servers, windows CALs, exchange CALs + anti-virus CALs, Outlook licenses). There could be indirect expenses too (new hardware, Software Assurance, IT-staff education, etc.). Regards to Exchange 2007 documentation, you need at least 4 servers (2 HT+CAS, 2 MBX) - physical or virtual.

Snork, I hope that information could be useful for you.

Regards,
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by rdronov View Post
    Hi all,

Maybe this article would help to understand possible migration scenarios - Moving from a Linux Mail Server and peer-to-peer network to Exchange Server 2007 (Part 1).

At the same time, it is very sad that employer doesn't understand obvious benefits from using FOSS mail system (like, Zimbra).

Anyway, if there is a middle-size organization then it is easy to compare costs of migration and licenses (windows servers, exchange servers, windows CALs, exchange CALs + anti-virus CALs, Outlook licenses). There could be indirect expenses too (new hardware, Software Assurance, IT-staff education, etc.). Regards to Exchange 2007 documentation, you need at least 4 servers (2 HT+CAS, 2 MBX) - physical or virtual.

Snork, I hope that information could be useful for you.

Regards,
    Roman
    Microsoft has a Transporter for POP/IMAP migration. That will be as close as you get for a tool to move the messages. The problem is that Zimbra is still not a well known competitor on the Microsoft radar or even third party radar (Quest/Binary Tree). Lotus Notes is the largest competitor and there are plenty of tools for that product. PST export is an option but painful, a greenfield implementation may be a better bet.

As far as hardware requirements for Exchange. You can technically have all the roles of Exchange 2010/2007 on a single server. Separating the roles is good HA practice.. Why have all your eggs in one basket? You can also distribute performance across multiple boxes.. not a bad thing either..

Thank you both for your suggestions. I spent about an hour writing up a rationale for keeping zimbra. I hope it does some good.

The link to the article looks pretty good. Have to investigate it further to see what problems we might run into if I can't persuade them to keep zimbra.

Hi snork,

Let me give you a piece of advice.
    There is another point of view about migration to different mail and collaboration system - what exactly users don't like in Zimbra?

Maybe, there are some annoying bugs/issues (which could be fixed easily) or they don't know much about user interface (and you could teach them), etc.
    Therefore, if you make a survey, analyze those information and show it to your bosses, it could be strong point to keep existing solution.

Best wishes,
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by rdronov View Post
    Hi snork,

Let me give you a piece of advice.
    There is another point of view about migration to different mail and collaboration system - what exactly users don't like in Zimbra?

Maybe, there are some annoying bugs/issues (which could be fixed easily) or they don't know much about user interface (and you could teach them), etc.
    Therefore, if you make a survey, analyze those information and show it to your bosses, it could be strong point to keep existing solution.

Best wishes,
    Roman
    Very valid indeed especially as the OP has not said which version of ZCS they are running
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v

Quote Originally Posted by snork View Post

So, my question is what is the best way to migrate from Zimbra to MS Exchange 2007? Can it be done automatically? Is there a simple tool or script that I could use? Is it even possible?
    Why don't you ask Microsoft if they could provide tools to migrate to exchange? You can not expect from Zimbra to deliver tools to migrate to a competitors product...

When I started with Zimbra years ago, Zimbra provided lots of tools to migrate to Zimbra...

Regards
    Thomas

Deepblue,

"Why don't you ask Microsoft if they could provide tools to migrate to exchange? You can not expect from Zimbra to deliver tools to migrate to a competitors product."

Doesn't the second statement sort of negate the first statement? If I can't expect Zimbra to supply tools to migrate to a competitors product, I sure as heck couldn't expect Microsoft to. :-) I know you're just trying to be helpful. thanks.

uxbod,

Good idea. Not sure I'll have enough time to accomplish this, but will try. I just summited my reasons for not switching to exchange. Hope it has some impact on their decision.

I believe they've been using zimbra for almost 2 years now and have never updated it. So, it's probably a very old version. I don't have access to the zimbra server yet to find out which version.

Can it be upgraded easily? Haven't researched it yet, but thought I'd ask here since I'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by snork View Post
    Deepblue,

"Why don't you ask Microsoft if they could provide tools to migrate to exchange? You can not expect from Zimbra to deliver tools to migrate to a competitors product."

Doesn't the second statement sort of negate the first statement?
    No, not at all...

If I can't expect Zimbra to supply tools to migrate to a competitors product, I sure as heck couldn't expect Microsoft to. :-) I know you're just trying to be helpful. thanks.
    Oh no! You don't get the point here... If you want to migrate TO Zimbra (from Exchange, Notes, IMAP based Mailsystem), then Zimbra delivers a whole bunch of tools for you to help you with your migration...

What Tools does Microsoft provide for you, to help you to migrate TO Exchange from some other platform? -> Nothing...

Regards
    Thomas