Thread: Dumping all mailboxes to individual ZDB's for archival?

Hybrid View

Default Dumping all mailboxes to individual ZDB's for archival?

(I've searched around a bit to try to accomplish what I'm looking for, here/google/etc)

Long story short, I have an existing 5.0.8 [NE] install, with a license expiring at the end of this month, that is now used as an archive (company switched to Exchange a year ago), and I was looking for a way to script something to dump all the mailboxes out to .pst's. I've realized that isn't going to happen, so I was trying to find a way to dump them out to .zdb's. I've seen ways to get them to .zip or .tar.gz... but that's not quite the format I'm looking for.

Right now, most people have the Zimbra account as a separate (but non-sync'ing) imap mailbox in Outlook.

I've taken a handful of accounts, loaded the Zimbra profile in outlook, exported the entire thing to a .pst, deleted the profile, set up the Exchange profile, and reopened the Zimbra .pst as an archive, but that's quite inefficient (especially with 150 users).

Before anyone asks--no, I don't want to use imapsync to bring the mail into Exchange... this is just for archival/reading old mail.

I'd like to be able to script something, that I can run, dump out all the mailboxes to .zdb, and release them to users on a per-request basis.

Any help/ideas would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks!

Erik

You probably won't find any way to script a dump to ZDB's, since it can't really be done from the server side. The server doesn't speak ZDB, just the clients.

I think the PST thing you're doing now is about the only way you'll be able to do it.

I'm not sure if there is a reason why importing the mail into Exchange is out of the question, but you would create an archive account in Exchange for each user and get the mail into there. Or do the PST pain. Or leave the server around as long as needed to access the accounts. Or a few other ideas which none of which are really any easier.

1) if you can afford to keep the "physical servers" then just upgarde the to be Expired NE to OSS version and all your data will stay and you can access your email as long as you want.

2) if you have any Virtualization setup then you can move the OSS upgraded Zimbra to a simple VM and can access the email that way

3) you can use the ImapSync and export ALL email from zimbra to exchange.

* you DO not wany to use NE Backup tool as one its expired you cannot restore from it when needed.

if exchange allows PST export and you have time then you can ImapSync to Exchange and then Export to PST and delete all form exchange and switch off zimbra

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    1) if you can afford to keep the "physical servers" then just upgarde the to be Expired NE to OSS version and all your data will stay and you can access your email as long as you want.
    Thanks for the help. That looks like the direction I'll likely go (I have 6 days left on this NE license).

I see lots of threads about moving OSS->NE, but not really anything going NE->OSS. Is it just a simple change, or am I in for a whole day of work?

Thanks,

Erik

1) backup NE zimbra as per OOS back process, pick any from the wiki
    Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki

2) run "upgarde" using OSS installer for the version you like (has to be > or = existing version)

that is it.point 2 should not take you > 45 min
    * email services will be down during this process

raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider