Thread: Migrating From Ubuntu 32bit to 64bit - Release 6.0.6

Default Migrating From Ubuntu 32bit to 64bit - Release 6.0.6

Having read Zimbra Downloads FAQ: Phase-Out of 32bit document I wanted to be very early in this process.

I currently backup my ZCS zimbra 2 ways.
    1 - gzip tar ball
    2 - rsynch to another machine

So basically, I have the 32bit backup of zimbra.

Can I then just install the 64 bit
    move the installed /opt to /oldopt
    untar or copy over files from backup to /opt
    do the permissions thing on directories and I'm all set

My worry is that I won't be true 64bit. Am I wrong on this ?
    What's the proper way to do the migration ?

I know what didn't work
    Going into 32bit machine and exporting the 5 accounts as tgz file and re-importing into the new 64bit install. Basically, it didn't come back with all the files from briefcase and other things.

Any ideas guys..TIA

Thanks...do I need to have the same hard drive layout. In my 32bit I had 3 drives sda for / sdb for /opt and sdc for /backup

On my 64 bit I will have sda ( /boot, /, and swap) and sdb ( /opt)

My guess is it shouldn't matter but this seems pretty picky so I thought I should ask. thanks

no zimbra doesn't really care if /opt is it's own partition or part of the / partition or whatever, as long as theres space.

Since the Community Edition has no license file, so I guess, I can safely ignore that piece of the to do, right ?
    So, in general, safe to say that anything I didn't have, like commercial certs, just skip that portion, right ?

My hope is to get through this process ASAP and report back to the forum and hope my comments and experience help another person.

Final note, perhaps I should do this after I upgrade to a firm release. I actually applied the 606.1 patch to my server. Is that the same as the 64bit download of 6.0.6.1 ?

TIA

I just went through a 32-bit to 64-bit migration myself using the wiki document as reference. While the steps in the document are pretty well laid out, there are some issues with it; specifically with copying some of the configuration variables over, and with the lack of mention of self-signed certificates. I have opened bug/RFE 46647 to request that the document be corrected, but so far nothing has been changed. I would suggest that you look at the thread here. Drwho (the thread starter) ran into pretty much the same issues that I did and came up with a solution that seems to work (at least for us it did).

Quote Originally Posted by spectra View Post
    Going into 32bit machine and exporting the 5 accounts as tgz file and re-importing into the new 64bit install. Basically, it didn't come back with all the files from briefcase and other things.
    How did you export/import the accounts?

I've used getRestURL and postRestURL to get the .tgz files, and moved them between machines without issues.

I preformed a 32-to-64 bit migration both on OSS and NE by adding the new 64-bit server as a new MTA/LDAP/store/etc., slowly migrating accounts from one to the other, and then decomissioning the services on the original server (this includes promoting the secondary LDAP to be a master).