I've done some rudimentary searches on the forum. Since you gents are now owned by VMware, I'd like to see if this is doable, and if not, what I need to do to make it happen.

I have been running Zimbra since, what, 3.x? on physical hardware. Currently it is only used for internal email on my home domain. (Comcast has blocked port 25 traffic, and I haven't bothered working around it yet.) Currently, I am running Zimbra 6.06 on Debian lenny.

So I am running it on a P4 with 1GB of RAM, and 80GB HD, and my load average is around 2. I just inherited a Dell PE1850, dual 3.2GHz Xeons, and 2GB of RAM (which is I'll be upgrading to 4GB soon) and a 146GB RAID-1. I have installed VMware ESXi 3.5 on it.

I have the following questions:

1. Would Zimbra work in a VM given the hardware I am proposing? It's a fairly low-traffic server, mainly apticron, ossec and cron messages from my servers and VMs. That said, java is the main offender on the current hardware, using between 30 and 95% of the CPU.

2. I want to change the hostname and IP address. Would it be easier/cleaner to create a clean lenny installation, then back up /opt/zimbra on the original box, copy it over and run the configuration tool? Or run VMware converter and then change the IP and hostname and reconfigure Zimbra?

Thanks,
--storm