Thread: CentOS 5.2 + Plesk 9.5 + Zimbra ?

Default CentOS 5.2 + Plesk 9.5 + Zimbra ?

31-08-2010:
    Hi,
    I`m currently running a Exchange server within a Windows Small Business Server 2003. I`m thinking of migrating down to my Webserver to get away from the license cost.

My Exchange server is currently running CentOS 5.2 32-bit and Plesk 9.5.x (newest version)
    comes with 2x2,23 GHZ, 2 Gb ram, 2x 500 GB HDD (raid 1/0 partitions/mountpoints depending on need)

It houses 4 Domains on 6 IP`s with one extra IP Free.
    Main use is Personal/Business websites hosting for including email communication and some minor low resourcecost web-interfaces. and Heavy VPN use.

My Exchange server has currently 5 Users and pulls in emails from those 4 Domains via the Plesk`s configured and managed Horde webmail via pop3 and pop3-accounts from different domains not controlled by me and my webserver. in total there is currently about 80 Pop3 accounts pulled from by the exchange server.

The Exchange server pulls about 500 Emails/day ~ 16k a month for all 5 users.

The Plesk Server functions as Primary DNS with a secodary DNS server from my hoster.

I`m planning on installing teh community edition right now.

Now the questions are as followed:
    1) will that be enough resources to run Zimbra on ? i think i can allocate a fixed amount of max 500 MB ram to the Server at all times with more if its not needed all the time.
    2) What way woudl you install Zimbra, or which would be the most efficient in this case to use Zimbra ? as a Mailserver for those 4 domains, or with its own domain/subdomains/IP just pulling from the existing pop accounts (and keep managing those via Plesk.
    2)a) especially keeping in mind that the Plesk server is teh Dns server for those domains and traditionally functions withits apache server integration as teh actual webserver/config system and using some (if not all) of the ports zimbra uses.

3) On my Exchange server we currently reserve 5 GB per user, i would like to up that to 10 GB per actual user account of mail storage, whichwould be about 50 GB. How would you layout the Partitions for use of Zimbra (Raid 0/1) and what sizes would you think i`d need for em ?
    .../zimbra/store
    .../zimbra/db
    .../zimbra/index
    .../zimbra/backup

Kind regards,
    Q-wulf

02-09-2010:

I just found the time to read up more on Zimbra on various non-zimbra related websites and forums, now i have more questions with regards to my question 3)

3) On my Exchange server we currently reserve 5 GB per user, i would like to up that to 10 GB per actual user account of mail storage, whichwould be about 50 GB. How would you layout the Partitions for use of Zimbra (Raid 0/1) and what sizes would you think i`d need for em ?
    .../zimbra/store
    .../zimbra/db
    .../zimbra/index
    .../zimbra/backup
    acccording to:
    Zimbra - InstallationWiki and
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...-will-use.html
    for 5 users at 10 GB Space i need :

.../zimbra/store :: 50 GB (5x10GB) on a Raid 0
    .../zimbra/db :: 5GB (apparently zimbra has 5% overhead [50GB*5%*2] .. double the value just to be safe) on a Raid 0
    .../zimbra/index :: 5 GB (apparently zimbra has 5% overhead [50GB*5%*2] .. double the value just to be safe) on a Raid 0
    .../zimbra/backup ::: 50 GB (5x10 GB) on Raid 1

so in Total:
    50 GB + 5 GB + 5 GB + 100 GB (2x50 [Raid 1]) == 160 GB of Diskspace spread over 2 HDD´s mounted under /opt/zimbra/*

does this sound about right ?
    Last edited by Q-wulf; 09-02-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Seems like forum is eating my replies

I just found the time to read up more on Zimbra on various non-zimbra related websites and forums, now i have more questions with regards to my question 3)

.../zimbra/store
    .../zimbra/db
    .../zimbra/index
    .../zimbra/backup
    acccording to:
    Zimbra - InstallationWiki and
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...-will-use.html
    for 5 users at 10 GB Space i need :

.../zimbra/store :: 50 GB (5x10GB) on a Raid 0
    .../zimbra/db :: 5GB (apparently zimbra has 5% overhead [50GB*5%*2] .. double the value just to be safe) on a Raid 0
    .../zimbra/index :: 5 GB (apparently zimbra has 5% overhead [50GB*5%*2] .. double the value just to be safe) on a Raid 0
    .../zimbra/backup ::: 50 GB (5x10 GB) on Raid 1

so in Total:
    50 GB + 5 GB + 5 GB + 100 GB (2x50 [Raid 1]) == 160 GB of Diskspace spread over 2 HDD´s mounted under /opt/zimbra/*

does this sound about right ?