We currently have one Zimbra mail server running 3.1.2_GA release. We would like to go with a primary/secondary Zimbra mail server setup using two identical servers.

Because the current server is not configured ideally (from an OS perspective) , we would like to setup a new server (with optimal OS configuration) which will become the primary running the latest Zimbra 4.0 release and then import all of the mail/calendar, etc. data from the currently running server to this new server. The plan would then be to blow away and completely reinstall today's server (after having everyone on the new server for a week or so).

1) What is the best method for accomplishing this? Should I install 3.1.2_GA on the new server, import the mail data from the existing server, and then upgrade to 4.0? or can I install 4.0 directly on the new server and import data from 3.1.2 files?

2) What are the necessary steps for saving the current data on the current 3.1.2 system and importing this to the new server?

Any pointers, links, or references to any documentation that describes what I am trying to accomplish would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Ken