Thread: Re-routing mail to Zimbra Server

Default Re-routing mail to Zimbra Server

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this should be a migration type post but bare with me.

I am looking to move from OpenXchange to Zimbra when the Network Edition trial period ends and we have finished testing it. In the meantime, to get users using and testing Zimbra for me, it needs to be 'live', i.e. I need to have their mail arriving there so trusted users can use it instead of OX. Unfortunately I cannot turn off the OX server until we have successfully migrated all users and their Contacts, Mail and Calendars over.

So, the simplest thing seemed to be to use the OpenXchange function to forward all mail to the Zimbra server whilst also still delivering it to the Users on OX.
    You might wonder why I am asking this on the Zimbra site and not the OX one but again, bare with me!
    I have activated the forwarding (Mail Routing) section of OX and pointed it to the IP of my Zimbra server as directed in the OX manual. (I think it uses Qmail for this).
    However, it never arrives! There is no error at either end and the firewall and SeLinux are defintely turned off on my CentOS 4.4 based Zimbra server.
    This is Network Edition version 4.0.1 of Zimbra.

Any obvious answer for this before I get back to work tomorrow and start poking around at the OX end. (Their Forums are pretty crap and their Support non-existent)

Thanks
    Russ

Thanks Klug,

that is a very helpful and informative post which I will study in detail when the children go to bed!

Only thing is, and I hate to seem ungrateful for your help, we use an SME Server to retrieve mail for our Domain. This is visible to the internet and the external MX records point successfully to it. It is our Webserver and Email Routing Server. What I mean by this last bit is that it is set to send all email received for our Domain to our internal Mailserver running on SLES9. This way means that our Network is much more secure as SME server is far more secure than Suse SLES9 which I would rather not have facing directly onto the Internet.
    The SME Server can only be set to direct the mail to one internal server in this cofiguration and as I say this the OX server at the moment. So, you see, MX records never come into it this way.
    Does that make sense and will it work OK this way with Zimbra taking the place of the OX server in the future?
    Bearing this in mind, any other ideas for my original post?

Thanks

Russ

Nothing goes against you using the "split domain setup" between your SLES9 and Zimbra (and leave the SME as is).

Sorry Klug but I don't get it!

I have used the commands in the Wiki to make sure that the Zimbra server knows it is the Slave to the OX Master but still no mail!

I think it may well be at the OX end. But if this is working and I follow the Wiki then all should work yes?

You still don't think there is any other obvious reason why the Zimbra server doesn't get the mail?

Thanks

Russ