Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Section 508 Compliance

Question [SOLVED] Section 508 Compliance

What is the status of Section 508 compliance for government purchases? For information go:

http://www.section508.gov/

I know what 508 is trying to accomplish but not the nitty-gritty details. I also know that it seems to be mandatory for any new web software purchases to be in compliance.

Not sure this is related to migration, but at this time we've not done a lot related to 508 in the web client. Of course you can use Outlook and the connector should enable 508 compliance.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

I don't think you can have the wunderful ajax GUI and 508 compliance in one application. The web frontend makes a heavy use of ajax which is hard to combine with accessibility.

Good point. We are working on a light-html app with reduced features that should work on mobile phones and in places where due to CPU/bandwidth the AJAX client isn't an option. This app should be easier to make 508 compatible.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Not sure this is related to migration, but at this time we've not done a lot related to 508 in the web client. Of course you can use Outlook and the connector should enable 508 compliance.
    I wasn't sure where to pose this question.

Thanks for the info and the other posts. I really wanted to bring this issue to light because this product has so much room to grow and beat Microsoft out of the enterprise. Consider this my unofficial way of nudging you folks to show you one of the requirements for being purchased by an Agency. There may be loopholes, I just know this is one of those that my folks don't let pass by without compliance.

Default bug 10822

You may want to check out bug 10822 and vote on it if you are interested in 508 compliance. Not sure if that is the correct one to go to, but sounds like it is.

Because I still cannot find any Section 508 information at Zimbra's website and this thread is the only one that I found so far, I just want to add to this thread to let others who will have questions about 508 in the future know that I did get two documents from Zimbra about Section 508 today and those documents stated that Zimbra is in compliance with 1194.22 and 1194.21. The documents are not currently available on the website, but you can ask Zimbra for it.

Default VPAT and section 508

I still haven't found the docs - who emailed them out to you?

help?

Wait one - I'm tracking them down

I got the two documents VPAT-Sections-21-31-41-completed.pdf and
    ZCS-HTML-Lite-Section508-0.2-1.pdf from a Zimbra account manager.
    Try filling out this form
    http://www.zimbra.com/about/contact_us_form.html to ask for the two pdf
    documents I mentioned. I'm not sure if I should pass these documents around,
    but it sure would be nice if they are available on Zimbra's website (I did
    mention this already).