Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra-supported, automated 32-bit to 64-bit migration tool

Default Zimbra-supported, automated 32-bit to 64-bit migration tool

I have reviewed the documentation regarding migrating 32-bit ZCS to 64-bit, and given that the migration is mandated (albeit slowly) by Zimbra, I was expecting a MUCH more automated process for migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit.

The ZCS installation scripts have been robust and reliable as I've moved from version to version on Community Edition and Network Edition over the past 3 years. It is obvious to me that the Zimbra folks have the capability to automate many more of the manual steps in their official migration document. Much of the info that you're supposed to manually make sure is identical on your source and target servers is information handled without any user intervention on normal upgrades. Their current set of suggestions is too error-prone for something the typical systems admin is only going to do once.

Does anyone else feel that Zimbra needs to provide a higher level of supported tools to facilitate the move to 64-bit?

Improvements that come to mind:
    • Provide a script to gather info on 32-bit machine that needs to move to the 64-bit machine
    • Script could also walk user through steps that should be manual (copying store/index/db)
    • update the ZCS installer on 64-bit with option to take info gathered from script run on 32-bit and run with it

wishful thinking..with large numbers of servers on my plate to move from 32 to 64..i back this idea

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Has anyone tried to migrate Zimbra 6.0.12 running on Centos 32 bit to 64 bit?
    Should we use a 6.0.8 OSS Edition or 7.0.0 Beta3 OSS Edition version of the script http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Migratin...it_Centos_5.x?

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...s-arrived.html says:
    Updated migration wizards: the ZCS 7.0 migration wizards are replacing the older migration wizards in previous 60.x releases and improve migration performance (56214)
    Last edited by tim_ba; 04-04-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim_ba View Post
    Should we use a 6.0.8 OSS Edition or 7.0.0 Beta3 OSS Edition version?

Updated migration wizards: the ZCS 7.0 migration wizards are replacing the older migration wizards in previous 60.x releases and improve migration performance (56214)
    The migration wizards are to migrate from Exchange and Domino, I believe. Not ZCS to ZCS.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xeon View Post
    The migration wizards are to migrate from Exchange and Domino, I believe. Not ZCS to ZCS.
    The Migration wizard in ZCS 7 is for migrating from any LDAP server or another ZCS instance.

Should we use a 6.0.8 OSS Edition or 7.0.0 Beta3 OSS Edition version?
    The current version is ZCS 7.0.1 and not Beta 3.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The Migration wizard in ZCS 7 is for migrating from any LDAP server or another ZCS instance.

The current version is ZCS 7.0.1 and not Beta 3.
    My question was related to this thread and script only, I thought it was obvious and I didn't post a full question which is:
    Should we use a 6.0.8 OSS Edition or 7.0.0 Beta3 OSS Edition version of the script http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Migratin...it_Centos_5.x?

The reason I'm trying to do this is given in http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...tml#post214384. I cannot upgrade 6.0.12 to 7.0.1 on 32bit Zimbra v6 as a VM in Hyper-V on Windows 2008. So, my current intention is to try to upgrade to 64bit 6.0.12 and then further to 7.

?? does it not just *work* to stop your 32bit zimbra 6.0.x and install 64 bit 7.1.0 "upgrade" over top of it? I would hope it does...?! was goint to try it -- maybe it's good I didn't try it yet..?!

Quote Originally Posted by mickier View Post
    ?? does it not just *work* to stop your 32bit zimbra 6.0.x and install 64 bit 7.1.0 "upgrade" over top of it? I would hope it does...?! was goint to try it -- maybe it's good I didn't try it yet..?!
    Um no, that does not just work. For a start, a 32bit OS won't run any 64bit binaries...
    http://www.solutionsfirst.com.au/hosting/zimbra/
    Australia's premier Zimbra Hosting Partner
    Resellers wanted!

I didn't succeed with this script. It may be that I didn't put the things right. Luckily I upgraded to ZCS 7.1.0. so I don't have a problem with script version now - I can use v7.

"Enter the hostname of the server either in the /etc/hosts file or on a local DNS server. This is for Zimbra installation."

So:
    - we have SERVER32 whose Zimbra hostname is also SERVER32, and IP address is .32, with MX records for a domain, and
    - we make a new SERVER64 with an IP address .64
    - we start a script - what will we take for Zimbra hostname and domain?
    - can a new server keep a new name SERVER64 and a new IP address .64, or it must be changed to the old SERVER32 nad IP .32? - what about Zimbra hostname?