Thread: Migrate centos 5.5 32bit to ubuntu 10.04 lts 64bit ZCS 7.1.0

Default Migrate centos 5.5 32bit to ubuntu 10.04 lts 64bit ZCS 7.1.0

I have tried to migrate to a new server three times now and each time takes me 8 to 10 hours. All three attempts have failed. The first attempt I just built the new server, took a full and incremental backup of the old server, moved backups to new server, and then used the web GUI to restore the data from the old server, it crashed after about 4.5 hrs. The second attempt I built the the new server again, took a full and incremental backup of the old server, moved backups to new server, and used the command line commands from this article Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki this one failed after 2 mins on the second command. The third attempt I have tried was using this article Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki . I changed the IP of the old server and started building the new server. I went through every step twice to make sure i typed every thing in properly and also made sure I had every thing transferred. It took over 12 hours to compete. When I finished all the commands and restart the server, the MTA and the mailbox would not start. i trouble shot for about another 2 hours and then had to just take the new server down and go back to the old server. I am wondering if any one has done this migration or if any one knows of another how-to guide I could try to get this working. Thank you in advance for any and all your help.

Adam Thrasher
    Dixon Public Schools
    Dixon, IL 61021

We've successfully migrated from Ubuntu 8.04 32bit to Ubuntu 8.04 64bit using the 32b --> 64b procedure you mentioned above.

But first of all: are you using open-source or NE release of Zimbra?

Secondly: could you be (much) more specific on what goes wrong, both in the 2nd and 3rd attempts? Your logfiles are there for a reason.

I am running 7.1.0 Network Edition, Which log files should i be looking in for the problems.

zimbra@mary:/home/dpstech$ zmrestore -sys -ra -a all -c
    System tables and local configuration are restored.
    Local config is restored to <zimbra_home>/conf/localconfig.xml.restored.
    Make sure current volumes are correct using zmvolume command.

The logs that I could find for the Second attempt are attached. I ran the zmrestore cmd at 8:41am. I hope these help you. I will have to rebuild the server again to rerun attempt three and get the logs for that, I will wait to see if you can help me with this install.

logs.txt

About the second command: is your LDAP server running? Many LDAP errors are caused by a wrong DNS and/or /etc/hosts configuration. Please post the contents of your /etc/hosts file and the output of "dig yourdomain.com mx".

In your third attempt your mailbox and MTA won't start. What's the output in /opt/zimbra/log/ when you do a "zmmtactl start" and "zmmailboxdctl start" ? Check which logfiles are written most recently by "ls -ltr" on /opt/zimbra/log/ .