Thread: Migration from ZCS 7.1.2 / CentOS5 to ZCS 7.2.0 /CentOS6

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] Migration from ZCS 7.1.2 / CentOS5 to ZCS 7.2.0 /CentOS6

Hi all

I need a guide on how to migrate Mail, Calendar and Contact Data from a ZCS 7.1.2 Network Edition on CentOS5 to ZCS 7.2.0 Netowork Edition on CentOS 6.

I know about the guide Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki , but this does not seem to be of a big help to me, as the old and the new server don't have the same name, don't have the same IP address and I don't know all the configuration details from the old server.

Situation is as follows:

Old Server servers domain1.com.

New Server has maindomain.com and should start to hold other domains for other people.

So the new server is already there and now I would like to import the Mail, Calendar and Contact data from the old Server with domain1.com.

I found HOT Backup and HOT Restore - Zimbra :: Wiki which looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it will work for Network Edition.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by boumi; 07-06-2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Thread solved

How many users do you have to migrate? Are their email addresses changing, like user@domain1.com to user@maindomain.com? I'm not aware of any tools to automate a migration like this, but that doesn't mean there aren't any out there. If it was a a manageable number of users I would probably just look at using a Zimbra import / export or maybe one of the other user migration tools out there, like imapsync.

There are about 25 Users to migrate.

The domain of the users to migrate will be the same on the new server as before, so user@domain1.com will remain user@domain1.com. On the old server there was only domain1.com, now on the new server there is maindomain.com at the top level and domain1.com is about to be added.

imapsync could work, but I'm not very happy about the fact that the users will have to hand me over their password as almost every companys' security policy says that you should never give away your password. It's pretty old-school and not very state-of-the-art in terms of security.

So, Is it right that for imapsync (and also import/export) I will first have to setup the domain domain1.com, add the users, assign them a password to make it work? I was hoping for a scenario where I set up the domain domain1.com and have the rest done by the migration, so that the users will be added and also their password would be imported.

Final two question for this post: Can all the things (Mail, Calendar, COntacts) be imported with imapsync or import/export? Does it also work to import the "Tasks" with one of the aforementioned methods?

@soxfan: Thanx for your answer so far

I believe zmztozmig was created for this purpose.

Zimbra to Zimbra Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki

But the only way to do this without losing any user preferences or sharing folders is to use ZeXtras Mig Tool.
    Federico Bertola
    CTO @ StudioStorti

Do you know if ZeXtras Mig Tool works with the Network Edition aswell or only the OpenSource one?

Yes, it works with NE since version 1.2.4.
    Federico Bertola
    CTO @ StudioStorti

Thanks a lot for the quick answering of my questions.

I really appreicate your help.

Special thanks to federico.