Thread: Question about pst migration

Default Question about pst migration

Hello,

I have been using Zimbra Open Source for a while in production and it works very good. Now I want to migrate the users from outlook (pop3) to zimbra desktop or zimbra web client and I would like to hear some tips or feedback from you guys... I have a few users with big pst files (30GB) and I'm not sure if there is a limit in the pst size or anything like that. I am going to test the process in a separate server just to check how it works and then I'm going to the production server. So I would appreciate your recommendations or any comment about your experience with this.

Regards,

If I'm reading your post correctly, you are planning on moving the users local PST files over to a Zimbra server, and then will be using the Zimbra Web Client or Zimbra Desktop to connect to that server. If this is the case, there isn't any "pst" file or anything like that to worry about. You can setup quotas, but that is only if you want to limit the amount of email that your users can save. I am in the process of moving some Outlook users over to our Zimbra server and have been using the ZCS Import Wizard with very good success. To be honest though, we don't have any users with pst files anywhere close to 30 GB so YMMV.

Do you already have a plan in place for the server side of the migration or do you have questions / concerns about that as well?

Thanks for your reply Soxfan. You did read correctly, I am about to move the users pst files over to a Zimbra server which is already in production and working fine. The concern I have is, I have couple of users with large pst files (30GB) and I want to make sure there will be no problem migrating those files to the server because of the size. I am aware there will be no pst files at the server side.
    Anyway, if some users will use zimbra desktop and they are going to keep a local copy of their emails in their workstations, is that data stored in a single file (pst like) in order for me to back it up?
    As for the migration itself, I am going to start with the small size pst files and see how it goes (i will try it in a test server first tho) but any suggestion or recommendation will be very appreciated.

Regards,

I do not think the Zimbra Desktop has a single data file like Outlook with the pst file. Under a user's ApplicationData for WinXP or AppData for Win7 folder there is a Zimbra --> Zimbra Desktop folder that contains the data. I think you will want to backup that entire folder.

Unfortunately I can't really give you any suggestions on the huge (30 GB) pst files with the import wizard, as I have not had any experience with files that large. My best suggestion would be to try one of the large files on your test server and see what happens. If you run into problems post questions and hopefully someone can help. Oh, if you are running the wizard on Windows 7 you should run the program as the administrator.

I will keep this in mind, thanks for the advice. Im going to test it and will post about it later.

Regards,