Thread: Split Domain Best Practices

Default Split Domain Best Practices

I've been pouring over the Split Domain wiki, and some other posts on how to migrate from 2007 --> Zimbra 8.0

I am however not sure which course would be best, using Exchange as my primary or Zimbra. Also, we are using GFI Essentials and Mail Security on Microsoft SMTP in the DMZ, and I'm not sure if that would handle the split domain, or if I do it at the Exchange level.

Right now, mail routing is fairly straight forward:

ISP Relay <--> GFI SMTP Content Filter <--> Exchange 2007

GFI accepts mail for example.domain.com

Exchange is on example.otherdomain.com with example.domain.com as an alias.

I setup Zimbra 8.0 as zimbra.otherdomain.com with an alias of example.domain.com

I want to keep all user email addresses the same, hence the split domain.

So, my question is, do I need to get the GFI SMTP piece involved at all until I fully remove the Exchange server? Or can I just have mail routed from Exchange to Zimbra as we move departments then change GFI route mail just to the zimbra server when we are done?

I'm still a little confused on the best scenario to use. We don't have a lot of mailboxes (about 700), but they are rather large, and we cover over 35 departments --- so timing is crucial and the reason we what to do this in phases.

I feel your pain. We're trying to figure out the best route to move from E2K3 to Zimbra. We have about 7 domains hosted on E2K3 and users need to be able to e-mail between the different companies. I was looking at the Default SMTP Virtual Server in Exchange...it has a field for "Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host:" What I was thinking is if the user was moved to Zimbra why can't I just put the Zimbra mail servers info there???? Mail would come in from ant-SPAM gateway and still go to Exchange. If Exchange doesn't have the mailbox it should forward it over to Zimbra no? The issue comes when a Zimbra user tries to e-mail someone that is still on Exchange. Zimbra needs to be configured the same way without creating a loop of some sort. How far have you been able to get?

One other thing that I found...with my SPAM appliance I can create a dictionary, add e-mail address to it, and set a rule that routes messages to that address to another destination. I think this would work for pushing e-mail over to the Zimbra server for users that are migrated but I don't think it would work for internal mail as they never hit the SPAM appliance.
    Last edited by cavj1; 10-16-2012 at 11:54 AM.

we are in the same boat with an SBS 2003 customer, the concern is that small business connector. they also use a spam filter for in and outgoing mail. the wiki seems straight forward but i am stuck on deleting that connector.

I'm not sure what connector you are speaking of as we did not delete anything when setting up the split domain. We made great progress the last few days (HUGE thanks to Mark in Zimbra support). What I have done and this might not be the best way to do this but it works...at my SPAM appliance I've written a filter rule that routes e-mail for a user that has been move to zimbra. This takes care of all external mail. The rule uses a dictionary so as I piece meal the users over I just add the address to the dictionary and I'm done.

For internal mail the wiki notes have a few errors. Step 4 does not make sense as written. I navigated to and expanded Administrative Groups, Routing Groups, First Routing Group and then right clicked to add the new SMTP Connector. For the section Zimbra Server As Secondary you have to raise your permissions level su -zimbra before you run those commands.

We have 7 domains and needed to enter those commands for each domain that we host.